Sony Leica M9-P To RX1

I am a left eye shooter and my nose doesn't get in the way to much. Did when I had the M9 though. Continually wiping the LCD. Miss my M9 but RX1 is a superb piece of kit so not much. I only use mine with the EVF. Can't keep camera still enough to have my arms up and looking at LCD.

Depends, sometimes LCD only, sometimes with EVF. Or did you mean ONLY only, as in NEVER with the EVF? As in, don't even HAVE a viewfinder to use with it? It's a camera that seems to feel right up at the eye (whereas some smaller cameras don't, at least to me), so I'd generally use the EVF, but even when it's on, I'll do a lot of shooting with the LCD screen too.

Same here. I find the RX1 (and X100S actually) lend themselves to shooting a lot more from the LCD than I usually would as I'm a pretty confirmed viewfinder shooter. Something about the small form factor just makes the LCD feel more natural to shoot from.

However, I definitely wouldn't want to *not* have the EVF for the RX1 as I didn't have one for the first 2-3 months of ownership, and I felt like that was the missing element to bonding with the camera and enjoying it.

I bought my RX1 a couple of weeks before a trip and so decided to err on the side of caution and get the vf at the same time and I'm so glad that I did because I went to Greece in wall to wall sunshine and I needed it! I was alao really glad of the level gauge. On the other hand I would say that I've gone from thinking that I wouldn't ever buy a camera without one to being quite happy to compose from the LCD. I rarely use the finder of my Olympus EM5 and probably the XE1 finder 50% of the time. I wear reading glasses and so they sit perched on my head and are easily popped down for picture taking, I prefer this because I need to see my settings etc. my own Sony vf seems rock solid and I've never managed to knock the diopter out of alignment, perhaps it's a batch problem? I don't use it so much here in the UK as we don't often see the sun anyway! I love my RX1 :) I imagine my nose is also a mite smaller than yours!

Back