Leica mirrorless camera

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by serhan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  2. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I predict it will be expensive.:tongue:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler SC Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Colin
    It will need to be good to keep with the competition from Fuji and others.

4. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I am sure it will have nice IQ based on their previous apsc cameras, but the price point will be high again based on their history. They don't need to sell a lot as they make profit w/ low sales due to their niche. At one of the auto magazine, I read Ferrari manager saying why they need to produce a SUV when they limit their car numbers... Leica is somewhat similar.

5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks serhan! I saw that myself today...and it immediately got me thinking.

However, I'm not so sure that the brief announcement says it is going to be Panasonic built.

Personally, I'd like something akin to the Leica X types with more options (possibly lenses?) and the ability to keep the price tag no more than $2000, please.

Let the guessing begin!

6. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Some warped Boolean logic: :biggrin:

So IF the sensor is APS-C
    AND IF the sensor is made by Panasonic
    THEN the world of options just became larger for Panasonic :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    leicarumors.com: Another picture of the Leica T type 701 camera
    Leica-T-type-701-camera-with-M-lens-adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Can't say that I like the looks of this. It goes against traditional Leica styling and moves to some 'me-too' version of the Sony NEX and even Samsung. The body we are seeing might be the plain shell without a wrap or grip, though. It looks unfinished. I'm rather hoping that this is some crazy mockup by someone who stripped a Samsung NX and stuck a red dot on it.

If I want something with this form factor and aps-c sensor, I would more likely buy the new Sony A6000. And I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Leica fiend, too.

9. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    No viewfinder, no grip, no thanks. I shall stick to my Fuji X system as my digital "back" for my Leica glass.

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1
  10. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    im a 'no vf, no go' guy myself, but i must say, after many years and many different models/manufacturers, i do really prefer articulating vfs. for my kind of photography, which is mainly candids, ive found shooting as a 'waist level' finder greatly enhances the 'stealth' factor, and almost every time i use them i know ive been able to unobrusively get shots i couldnt with a typical eye level finder. also, waist level viewing is much better than eye level in bright light. just food for thought.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Fake. Say what you will about the X1/X2 and X-Vario, but they are exquisitely made cameras that flaunt their lineage. I suspect the new T (if it does exist) will not be unlike an X-Vario with interchangeable lenses. Besides, the M adapter looks cheap and why would anyone at Leica (presumably the only people with access to a prototype) be using a Zeiss lens to test a new camera?

• Like Like x 4
  12. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    Following Leica's recent product management I would expect it to be too little, too late and too expensive.

LouisB

13. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I guess you won't be buying one then...

14. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    Maybe. I am a Leicaholic in recovery.

The system I am building around Sony's A series with Carl Zeiss lenses seems to be quite good for the price.

And of course it is full frame and able to accept any lenses, including Leica lenses.

LouisB

15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen SC Regular

Jan 10, 2014
    Leica have been making mirrorless cameras ever since Oskar Barnack made the first one.

• Like Like x 4
  16. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    That's not a prediction. That's a fact.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm with you on enjoying the articulating viewfinders. I could also go use a flip screen, if I couldn't have a viewfinder for similar reasons...plus then I get to pretend I'm using a viewfinder camera.:big grin:

True, true, John - I'm afraid that is fact. I'd like to think that if I loved it that it wouldn't be too expensive for me...only time and my balance sheet will answer those questions.:wink:

18. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    If its an xvario with interchangeable lenses I'm gone. And I don't need another camera. It's already taken everything I have to resist that one.

To me, an APSC M mount makes sense. You can add the AF stuff and still take mf lenses without an adaptor. They can always patent the AF bits. I don't think that's what will happen though. So I'm voting for X-vario with interchangeable lenses.

I'd even put forward that there was something very much like that in the works until a little outi called Fuji went and released it first.

I also wonder whether the Panasonic Nocitron is so big, so it can cover the APSC image circle?

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  19. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    AA filter? hope not...

ccd sensor? hope so...

if i get my two wishes...