Sony Lens protection options

MrJoshua

Name
Jim
hi guys, I just found your forum after I've bought an M5 rx100 and just received it yesterday, to try and help get me back into photography a bit, as I've not done much over the last year or two.

I've ordered a Lensmate filter adaptor for it, which seemed like the best option for adding a polariser, but I wanted to ask for when that's not fitted (the filter), what options/kit would be good for protecting those fragile little lens 'eyelids' without having to keep the camera in a bulky case?

I don't mind the odd mark here and there on the camera body over time but I'm paranoid about the front of the lens being very delicate and subject to damage if it gets bumped, so mostly I just want to protect that, and get a screen protector film for the rear display to reduce scratches.

Many thanks in advance!

Given that the lens protrudes, you could fit some kind of lens cap over the whole front, at least for storage. I've never been able to see how to use one of those expanding hoods on this setup. BTW, I have the Mk iii but I believe the lens is the same.
You could mount a filter:
Amazon.com : Sony RX100 III Quick-Change Filter Adapter Kit 52mm by Lensmate : Camera & Photo
or a permanent hood:
Amazon.com : Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Pro Digital Lens Hood (Flower Design) (52mm) + Ring Adapter + Nwv Direct Microfiber Cleaning Cloth. : Camera Lens Filter Sets : Camera & Photo

Thanks for the reply

I've not had one of those caps which separates into hood type blades as the lens comes through it, so I don't know how they normally attach, but it's be useful if they could fit over the outside with a rubber seal or something so they can be quickly twisted on & off if needed.
The whole thing with this camera is that I want to keep it as un-bulky as I can (although it needs a small grip like the AG-R2 adding to the front for its own safety!), but want to protect the really delicate external bits within reason, so i don't really want the whole thing to live inside a case if I can avoid it.

Really really love the camera though. The frame rate and the AF speed are just astonishing.
My last compact was an Olympus Xz-1 and I loved it due to the fast lens, but this is just in a totally different league with all the other features.

One possible option anyway is that it'll have the lensmate adaptor piece on it once I receive that, so it might be possible to use my 3D printer to make a low profile cap that will just twist on & off this.

On my Ricoh GR I use an Acmaxx filter. It's self-adhesive. They come in different sizes for different cameras. I've never had the dust problems that others have suffered from and it protected the front element when I drove over my GRDIII wearing one...

Ricoh GH-3 2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks guys. To be clear, I don't specially like using filters for protectionhistorically, but that's more I guess on my dslr lenses where they already have proper quick detachable lens caps.

It's two separate factors for me here really, which are:

1) I want to be able to use a circular polarizer at times, hence getting the lensmate, but not just for having a filter to protect the lens.

2) I'm after something separate that will cover/protect the front lens petals while the camera is not being used or is being carried in my pocket etc. separate thing to the filter aspect, if you get me.

Some of you guys mentioned using lens hoods. Is there one you can get specifically for the rx100? I'm interested in which product that is/how it attaches etc.

Appreciate the input from all the replies, thanks!
:)

Back