Lessons from Cinema

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by ReD, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Just caught the final stages of a film on Film 4 (Sky) UK tv

A Useful Life - Frederico Veiroj 2010 Uruguyan Spanish Subtitles Black & White

An essay in how to compose - just wonderful

why these don't get top slot prime view beggars belief

• Like Like x 2
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Good cinematography can indeed be a marvel. Hitchcock's cinematographer on strangers on a train and nbnw give us all fantastic lessons in how to assemble a scene. John boorman in his earlier work too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Yes I admit I'm now more aware & appreciative than I was a year ago. Hopefully that won't ruin a good film for me & I'll be able to absorb content & imagery equally

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    My Dad was always watching westerns when I was growing up. Of course, the TV was 4:3 format and none of the films were ever shown in their original aspect ratio. They were completely butchered. The first time I saw "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" in all it's ultrawide glory, my mind nearly split open. Tonino Delli Colli, I tip my cap to you.
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ubVc2MQwMkg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ubVc2MQwMkg?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Diving deeper into photography (relative to a casual shooter) has made me see movies differently. I can certainly appreciate the visuals more now, and not just focus on the story. I watch very little movies these days, but at the top of my head the movie "Amour" comes to mind. The visuals of that film were really strong, and I am actually thinking of "copying" some shots as a learning tool. They're mostly common things - a room with a window, a hallway, etc. but I've never seen an empty room tell a story quite like in that movie.

• Like Like x 2
  6. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    [video=youtube;52EgHWT1Ngc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52EgHWT1Ngc[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I like Emmanuel Lubezki's work, especially in Children of Men. He was also the cinematographer for Gravity, though it doesn't come anywhere close to CoM. There are just so many different ways to shoot space.

children_of_men_baby_dillon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I think there's to be a mini series of Kuorokawa (think that's his name) Films on next week - Seven Samurai etc

9. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I think there's to be a mini series of Kuorsawa (think that's his name) Films on next week - Seven Samurai etc

10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Reverse the order of the r and o and you've got it nailed :)

11. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Would have to include Orson Welles / Gregg Toland's Citizen Kane.

12. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    13 Tzameti A Good choice Saw this on TV a few years ago Disturbing Powerful