Lifetime Shot - When?

ReD

Hall of Famer
Ok Something Pdh said about being dissatisfied with his current photos & I been playing at this photography lark for just over a year now so I'm just wondering when I will be taking my Lifetime Shot

Its unlikely to happen sometime soon but I'd just like an idea of when things amalgamate

Not sure if you want to make your lifetime shot already. If so, the fun is gone. As soon as I know I made THE shot, I will stop taking photos.

It is like tasting the best salmon in the world or drinking the best coffee or wine. As soon as you've tasted it, everything else tastes bad. The problem is that you will only know in hindsight and by that time it's too late.

BTW: I think you're doing great. I love your shots and creativity.

From all evidence, I made mine in 1977 and I don't have any evidence of it any longer. The prints are gone, the negative is long lost. But I remember it so clearly I could draw an exact replica of it if I could draw. It was a street photograph before I was even conscious of the concept, let alone practiced at it. I'd love to have it again, but it works well enough as a memory. And it hasn't kept me away from always trying to match it... I only know it was the one because I haven't matched it and its been a little while now...

-Ray

ReD, I can't believe you've only been "at it" for a year. The images you create are really something special.

For me, I'm not chasing after "the One". Rather than one epic high point, I'd prefer just elevate the level of my everyday shots. But it seems I peaked a couple years ago and am now just going in reverse. So maybe a good goal would be to just never regress.....LOL.

ReD, I can't believe you've only been "at it" for a year. The images you create are really something special.

For me, I'm not chasing after "the One". Rather than one epic high point, I'd prefer just elevate the level of my everyday shots. But it seems I peaked a couple years ago and am now just going in reverse. So maybe a good goal would be to just never regress.....LOL.

Been interested in Photography for years since 68 / 69 but never to the scale that it has been this last year since getting the F660 - much of this down to this forum & unquenched curiosity

There's a lot of images here (at least one a week) I'd be proud to have taken

I suppose in theory your lifetime shot could be the last shot you ever take so if you think you already have it you might discover in a few more years that you were wrong. So it's probably better to think about your best shot so far. If you were to ask me this my choice would change from one day to the next, possibly even from one minute to the next. So it's probably best to think about your best shots so far.

I'm also dissatisfied with my current output. I've been in a photographic slump for getting on for two years now, which is a lot since I've only been shooting seriously for around six years. But I don't believe I'll be there forever. In the same way that your photographic purple patches don't last, your photographic slumps don't last either.

In the meantime I take pictures and occasional videos of pandas at the DC zoo. My three year old niece thinks they're all absolutely brilliant.

It's chasing rainbows, isn't it? Once you've found your pot of gold is there anything left to aspire to? I'm not actually sure I ever want to make that "lifetime shot", it's something that as photographers we all seek, but secretly hope we never find. I've been shooting since I was ten years old - 53 years now - and never taken it, I've come close sometimes but it's my guess I'll never take that one picture that I can truly call my "Lifetime" shot.

Back