Light Gathering: Panasonic GM1 vs Sony RX100

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Biro, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Here's one for the slide-rule and calculator users among us: When comparing the new Panasonic GM1 with the new 12-32mm kit zoom (micro four-thirds, f/3.5-5.6) and the Sony RX100/RX100 II (one-inch sensor, f/1.8-4.9), which is gathering more light at the wide end of the focal range with maxiumum aperture? Or even at mid-zoom and the long end, for that matter.

As I think about paring down my kit, I'm thinking more about maximum image quality and low-light ability in at least one compact (possibly pocketable) camera. Since the GM1 with lens costs about the same as the RX100 II, and the body size is about the same, it becomes a logical comparison. Of course, one could pop the Lumix 14mm f/2.5 on the GM1 as well. On the other hand, the GM1 will always be less pocketable due to the lens, even if it's very compact by micro four-thirds standards.

And, finally, there's the question of whether an original RX100 might be good enough for even less money.
  2. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011

RX100 F1.8-4.9 ~ F4.9-13.4 FF
    GM1+12-32 F3.5-5.6 ~ F7-11.2 FF

RX100 gathers more light, same level as GM1+14 2.5 lens. Yes, original RX100 might be good enough as best value choice vs GM1 uses other faster m43 lenses... There is not many tests on the new 12-32, esp the distortion correction which is heavy on RX100. Pocketability depends on your pockets, but RX100 is a better option for that...
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    How did I miss or forget that dpreview chart? :frown:
  4. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    The light gathering ability is f1.8 for the Sony and f3.5 for the Pana at the wide end. The question is whether the larger Pana sensor can compensate for the disadvantage of almost two stops on lens speed.
    (The DPreview chart shows the dof control and has nothing to do with light gathering.)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    I am so tempted by a GM1 with a 20/1.7. Of course, this would be for my wife!

I wonder if Panasonic finally has a minimum shutter speed setting in Auto ISO?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    The GX7 doesn't - I'd be pretty surprised if such an enthusiast feature would show up in such a consumer level body...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I'm sure Mrs. K would really appreciate it. Hehehe.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    You are nothing if not a gentleman.
    • Like Like x 1