1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lightroom (3) and Canon .CR2 RAW files

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BillN, Oct 20, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Lightroom 3 will not import the RAW files, .CR2, from my newly acquired Canon S95

Is it me or can it be true?

anyone else have problems

My LR software is up to date

Cheers

Bill

("you should have bought an LX5 is NOT the answer that I want" - I am a Nikon man at heart - serves my right for buying a Canon could be an answer)

• Like Like x 1
  2. pictor

pictor SC All-Pro

Jul 14, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Thanks pictor

buggers - I suppose that it wont be long before the S95 is added, (the S90 is on the list)

4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Perhaps you can do a work around...don't ask me how but you know, fix it so LR thinks it's an S90?

5. Prototype

Prototype SC Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    Illinois
    Brian
    You got it right, BB. Amin mentioned in his review that he edited the EXIF so LR thinks its an S90 file. A person on the S95 Flickr group linked to a forum post suggesting a program called exiftool to achieve this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Lightroom 3.3 is i think the latest incarnation which can open and edit the s95 Raw files but you will need to check on the Adobe site. I have just loaded Elements 9 and that can not open s95 Raw files either. It uses ARC version 6.1 and version 6.3 is the one that opens s95 Raw files. ARC 6.3 is only available for testing on Photoshop CS5 and is not generally available yet. They will be available soon so i suspect LR will be the same.

From Adobe - "Lightroom 3.3 and Camera Raw 6.3 are now available as Release Candidates on Adobe Labs. The ‘release candidate’ label indicates that this update is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed automatically to all of our customers. The final releases of Lightroom 3.3 and Camera Raw 6.3 may have additional corrections or camera support."

Just use your DPP software that came with your s95 for now and upgrade LR3 when version 3.3 is out. You have an update button in LR3 so just keep an eye on Adobe and when it's ready you can just upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mmacleodbrown

mmacleodbrown SC Regular

Oct 10, 2010
    London
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Quick question - is "release candidate" a euphemism for "beta"? I'm so new to Lightroom that I'm a bit nervous to change anything at this juncture and will probably tread water for a bit.

10. pictor

pictor SC All-Pro

Jul 14, 2010
    One can download the DNG Converter 3.3 with which the files of the S95 can be converted to DNGs which work with Elements.

No, these are just too different things. A release candidate is a version which might become the release, if everything is fine. However, since the final release won't come before December, I suppose that this release candidate won't be the final release. BTW, if you have a Mac, the release candidate will be installed as an extra program, which means that you would still have LR 3.2. If you have Windows, then you will have to deinstall the RC to go back to 3.2.

However, if there is no need for you, it won't make any difference. If a bug has been fixed, which annoys you, then you might want to try the RC.

• Like Like x 1
  11. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    A beta is known not to be final, but needs more widespread use to find issues that may not have been known about. Often, it's released specifically for developers to check compatibility with their own work.

A release candidate is believed to be final.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm surprised that as a registered Lightroom user that I didn't receive email notification.

13. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    I noticed yesterday that the up dates for the LX5 for LR have been released:smile: but I am waiting for S95:frown:
    As the song says 'why are we waiting' .

14. pictor

pictor SC All-Pro

Jul 14, 2010
    This has already been released with Lightroom 3.2.