Lightroom 4 slow slow slow - very disappointed [Updated 6 june 2012]

thanks for that Christian ... I haven't been keeping my eye on developments due to my health recently ... will download and see how it goes

I have developed the first shooting after upgrading to Lightroom 4.1 RC and I am very happy that my expectations have been fulfilled. This version seems to be about as faster as usual. Maybe Lightroom 3.6 was a tiny little bit faster here and there, but I have not seen any nasty delays anymore.

As I write this I'm just importing a few scans into a new catalogue, and I'm sorry to day I am finding the noise & sharpening sliders very "laggy" and stuttery and still causing very high processor usage.

On the other hand, I've also reconverted and sync'd my old 3.6 catalogue using 4.1RC1 and overall it appears faster - nearly as fast as 3.6 - except again for noise & sharpening - unless I use 2010 process rather than 2012, in whih case, it's as smooth and quick as 3.6

I have tested the sharpening and noise reduction sliders again and can second your findings, that these sliders are slower than the other sliders. However, I don't experience any lagging to be big enough to really annoy me at the moment, which might eventually change after developing more pictures than today. Please take into consideration, that I can only write about my findings on my machine. Yours may be completely different.

having spent some time on the adobe user forums and adobe feedback thread for this issue over the past couple of weeks, what seems most remarkable is the extraordinary differences between user experiences across even very similar platforms - both Mac and Windows

So weird. It's humming along nicely on my 2009 MBP C2D 2.26GHz with 8GB RAM. I've got a 7200 RPM 750GB HDD in there. LR4 seems to work for some, but not as well for others???

Final Lightroom 4 (and 4.1) is a real catastrophe.

I cannot contain my disappointment especially after having recommended Lightroom 3 to many people and other photographers.

I find Lightroom4 to be very buggy and extremely slow… , with blinking displays, constant slowdown, waiting.

The normal workflow takes 10x longer than expected, causing lasting mental strain!!

(I’m using Win7 64, quad core, with two monitors. But even with only one monitor active it is very slow.)

…A lasting nightmare - that I have to get used to?
It’s hopeless, but I’m stuck with it.

Adobe is in the USA but seems to be keeping a low profile regarding so many slowness issues.
Would the fear of an imminent class action lawsuit wake them up and render them more responsive - and pro-active in the future ? ;)

I stand corrected about LR4.

At first, I thought the speed was fine on iMac 27 i7 w/ 12 gig ram. This was when LR4 was first released, and I paid for the upgrade.

Then I started experiencing some lag and inaccurate movements with the mouse when clicking and pulling the sliders. At first, I thought the problem was with my mouse connection. I kept resetting and reconnecting, but the problems persisted. Then I finally noticed that I don't have the same problems when using the mouse and surfing the internet.

As of lately, I also noticed that the noise reduction application was working at turtle speeds. And the same thing with the "heal" tool. Extremely laggy.

I hope Adobe fixes these speed issues soon.

I'm sorry to hear that Armando.
How anyone who earns a living by their images and uses LR to manage them can possibly use it is beyond me.
I'm really struggling with it at the moment and Adobr have now got two RCs out, and if anything things are a bit worse ...

I upgraded to LR4 from LR3 and I have no problems at all. I much enjoy the new sliders seems easier for me to get results that I'm happy with.

I'm probably not a standard user though, I don't use the catalog part at all, just the raw development part, so if slowdowns are caused by the catalog that could explain why I'm not having issues. Also my main drive is solid state, so if it's disk related that's another reason why I might not have issues.

Hope you figure out what's slowing it down for you!

Chris the problem is that it's incredibly inconsistent across users and equipment, there are many mnay users experiencing problems, and there's nothing unusual about your using an SSD these days I guess.
There's nothing not to like about 4.1RC2 except the speed issue.
The problems occur with the development module, and as LR is an integrated system, you can;t use one bit without the others. You can't just use one bit, so if you were to be havign a problem, it would occur whether or not you were using the library. In reality of course, you are using the library (the cataogue) as that's how LR manages your images.

I have to correct some of my remarks. Lightroom 4 is really slow and it annoys me. Sharpening is extremely slow as soon as some luminance noise reduction is applied, for example. I can work with it and I would not want to miss some of the new features, which save more of my time than the slowness consumes, but it really is annoying slow sometimes.

So the release candidates are having no effect on the lagginess? Yikes ...

And I don't quite understand why or how the catalog could have anything to do with the lagginess.

Confused.

Frustrated.

I'm not saying the catalog has anything to do with lagginess. I'm just saying that my catalog is always empty except for the files I'm currently working on so if the lagginess was somehow tied to having a large catalog (bad memory handling or what have you not) then I wouldn't see it on my setup.

It occurs on my catalogue (around 3K images) and on pros' system with (literally) hundreds of thousands of images in their catalogues, but it doesn't appear to be worse on theirs than mine; There is something very odd going on and it's clearly hard to fix, which means it's hard to track down what the cause is.

Problems that are inconsistent across even similar platforms like this are a developer's nightmare, because you can't build a standard test-harness;; ugly scenes ensue ...

I'm just perplexed why it would lag b/c of a big catalog. It's not as if LR needs to access all of images in the catalog simultaneously when we're tinkering with one photo. Just too weird.

Should I even bother playing with the release candidates if they are just as a laggy?

I wonder if Windows users are also experiencing the lag.

Well it depends on how it's written - it might or might not make a difference. We do know they used a different database tool to manage the catalogue with v4.
I'm a Windows user - Windows or Mac, doesn't seem to make much difference.

Armando & Christian - it could help the cause for you to sign up for an Adobe account and post your feedback about speed (along with details of your hardware setup) here ...

Lightroom: LR 4 user interface, and Develop slider response very sluggish

LR3.6 worked very well for me, both LR4.0 and 4.1 release candidates have been much, much slower...

I find that particularly sharpening and noise reduction slow the program down very much, often the first few times I change the sharpening settings after starting up the program it's still fast, but then when I try noise reduction, it becomes slow, and it stays slow from then on.

Still working on an underspecced netbook though, so my findings might not be that relevant to others.

bartjeej, if 3.6 worked acceptably fast on your netbook, then it's not unreasonable to expect the "upgrade" to be OK (although of course if it's specification is below Adobe's stated minimum for v4 I guess one can't complain too loudly :)), but it may still help to post your experience at the Adobe feedback site as I suggested above

This might sound like a silly question, but how does one go about using a LR4.1 "release candidate" software? Is it a complete different install than my current LR4? Or does it work as an add-on? What happens when the "official" LR4.1 gets released? If it's a complete different install, I guess I have to import photos into LR4.1 release candidate?

Back