Lightroom and GR raw files

Discussion in 'Ricoh GR (APS-C) Forum' started by tol1l1yboy, Oct 19, 2013.

1. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy SC Regular

Sep 12, 2013
    Chicago
    Is it me or does lightroom do something to the files in lightroom that makes them less sharp than the jpeg counterparts. I know that the jpegs coming out of the camera are going to be sharpened so Im not talking about that but it is like the pics are off...almost like a slight blur is introduced. Its bugging the crap out of me. And now Im starting to think maybe Im just seeing something so I figured I should ask here.

2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Hmm. I didn't see that during my brief GR ownership. I suppose the solution is to shoot JPG!

3. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Never really noticed to be honest.

When processing my DNGs I actually end up leaving my files at the default 25 sharpening setting in LR4.4 for the most part.

Tom do you think the OOC jpegs are over-sharpened?

4. monk3y

monk3y SC Regular

Aug 12, 2013
    Japan
    Steven
    I never noticed anything like that. In fact I just said to myself a while back, GR's RAW output is one of the sharpest I've seen since I started shooting. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    Your DNGs will always look different from your JPEGs because (as you know) there is no processing applied to the file.

I've noticed, for example, that the DNGs are noisy, even at base iso. However, once a little noise slider is applied this disappears.

I am startled at how sharp the DNGs are, although the noise, per above, does tend to give the illusion of softness in some instances.

I always thought the lack of AA-filter fetish was just that: an obsession with technology that did not have any real basis in fact. However, I have to say that apart from the noise the files are very sharp, in fact as sharp as my Sigma DP2M, if not as large in terms of size. I may have to admit there is something in the lack of an AA filter that does improve image sharpness.

Just my two cents

LouisB

• Like Like x 1
  6. uptime4downtime

uptime4downtime New to SC

Sep 19, 2013
    I still don't understand why on LR5, for the life of me, I can't see any profile registered for the Richo GR? Any ideas? Really annoying when working RAW

7. Aaron English

Aaron English SC Rookie

Nov 3, 2013
    I have the problem of LR not importing the jpegs from the GR. I am using LR 4. It imports the dng files just fine.

8. NickLarsson

NickLarsson SC Veteran

Jun 24, 2013
    Paris, France
    In fact what you see in the first place and for a few seconds are the embedded JPEG previews which are actually sharpened compared to the RAW version.
    Then you see the actual RAW file, thus the impression that Lightroom soften the files.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    not my experience, in fact i find my jpegs less sharp than my dng's, im using LR5.2 though, if that makes any difference.