Featured Long weekend in Scotland

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by bartjeej, Nov 17, 2017.

1. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    My girlfriend and I visited Scotland for a 4 day getaway, two weeks ago. For a change, we didn't go for cities and culture, but for breathtaking landscapes... which we found more than we ever could have imagined. I've selected some of my favorite shots... but it was hard to choose, and impossible to take every shot I wanted to take (otherwise we wouldn't have made it past the first few kilometers of the Highlands). Scotland in autumn is just impossibly rustic, melancholic, and just... exactly how it should be!

For the best part of the weekend, see this thread:
    45th SC Challenge - Happiness Is................?

As for the landscape part, here we go...

37593487675_d9bb97d88d_h. Loch Lomond by bartjeej, on Flickr
    Our first day took us from Edinburgh via Glasgow towards the Highlands. Loch Lomond gave us a first taste of the incredible beauty around here.

38480206591_711cce6e30_h. Above Loch Lomond by bartjeej, on Flickr
    Beyond Loch Lomond, the hills are getting taller, and steeper. With so much rain and so many mountains, there's a little stream every hundred meters or so, and little rivers aplenty.

38424283186_b23a3a320b_h. Glen Coe by bartjeej, on Flickr

38448554112_486704aa81_h. Glen Coe by bartjeej, on Flickr
    Our route was spontaneous and not particularly planned, so we hadn't even realised we would pass through Glen Coe, right around sunset... we were stunned

37593447185_de5b4e5b18_h. Around Ben Nevis by bartjeej, on Flickr
    After a night in Fort William (where we had a mediocre hotel but found a fantastic restaurant), we did a hike around the foot of Ben Nevis, towards a waterfall. Going up the mountain was impossible due to the weather... but even if it had been sunny, our clothes, and my girlfriend's lack of mountain experience, meant staying on the easier paths was the sensible thing to do.

38448547352_64518597aa_h. Around Ben Nevis by bartjeej, on Flickr

38454487502_b637f4a6cb_h. Around Ben Nevis by bartjeej, on Flickr
    We were walking upstream towards the waterfall, and had to go through a narrow gorge to reach it. Looking back from the gorge provided a glorious view

37593427645_7e70091ab1_h. Around Ben Nevis by bartjeej, on Flickr

37765165484_00659b7698_h. Around Ben Nevis by bartjeej, on Flickr

37765159804_7e889f40f5_h. Skye by bartjeej, on Flickr
    The following morning, we woke up in Dunvegan, Skye. Tried to see the castle, but it was closed for the winter. On to the lighthouse, we went... and I'm mighty glad that we did!

37765154814_0629ca6ffd_h. Skye by bartjeej, on Flickr
    (the EXIF shows that there were 13 minutes between the previous shot and this one... Scottish weather might just be even more changeable than Dutch weather! And the landscapes are considerably more spectacular...

37765141324_fd816544bd_h. Skye by bartjeej, on Flickr

38448489952_b87a513a51_h. Skye by bartjeej, on Flickr

37593362145_e2c62d9828_h. Skye by bartjeej, on Flickr
    There had been another full "rain / hail / storm / perfectly bright sky" cycle between the previous shot and this one...

38448482322_670754ad1f_h. Skye by bartjeej, on Flickr
    On our way out of Skye, the weather deteriorated from showers to hours of uninterrupted rain. Made for a lovely moodiness, though...

38424176736_5ea36820b1_h. Eilean Donan by bartjeej, on Flickr
    Managed to see at least one epic Scottish castle... although we still had a long nighttime drive to Inverness ahead of us, through the twisty Highlands "main road", on the left side of the road (which was a first for me), in the never-ending pouring rain, and with temperatures fast approaching zero degrees C... I was eager to press on, so we didn't have much time to admire the castle.

37599507315_6863dc2a67_h. Bonfire night by bartjeej, on Flickr
    We arrived in Inverness just in time for the Bonfire Night celebrations. The heat of the fire drew the sparks into the air at high speed

38480040761_44ea037c53_h. Cairngorms by bartjeej, on Flickr
    On the eastern side of Scotland, the Cairngorms mountains don't have as much influence of the sea as the western Highlands...

38480036201_84aa7f8b68_h. Cairngorms by bartjeej, on Flickr
    ... which means they already had a healthy dose of snow on the peaks.

38424168926_e36e5f5195_h. Cairngorms by bartjeej, on Flickr
    A final look at the Scottish beauty, before returning to Edinburgh, and then home...

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Wow Wow x 2
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    These are lovely Bart, I've never been to Scotland thinking it's just a cold and dismal place but you've shown us some magic..... congratulations again btw :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. tonyturley

tonyturley SC All-Pro

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Simply stunning, Bart. A trip of a lifetime, or at least it would be for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Top Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    Extremely enjoyable, thanks for posting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bluzcity

bluzcity SC Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    A very nice set. My favorite is the bonfire shot!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

An excellent set of photographs fully conveying the moody atmosphere and changing weather conditions, well done. Also congratulations on your engagement and all the best to you both.

Barrie

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lovely images and trip. Looks like it is getting a bit chilly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Cristina: might be a good place for a mother / daughter / granddaughter trip one day ;)

Tony: it was, and not just for the personal aspects. I've seen a good portion of Europe, north/west Africa, some of South America, the Asian side of the Caucasus... but still, Scotland in autumn is something special. It's probably special year round, but to me, the melancholy of autumn colors just fits Scotland and its history.

Ray, bluzcity: thanks!

Barrie, thank you and thank you!

Dave: Scotland in general isn't known for its tropical climate, but indeed it was getting pretty cold. Wind and moisture don't help. But it all just adds to the feeling of the place. I do appreciate being there in November 2017 instead of November 1817, though... would be a tough place to live without modern isolated buildings to take shelter in. That's also true for my native Holland, but at least we have Great Brittain acting as a buffer for nasty weather coming in over the Atlantic :th_salute:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. hannahntilly

hannahntilly SC Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Peter
    A nice set of photos. I climbed about 100 of the high mountains (the "Munros") over a 10 year period when I was younger. I could count the dry/clear days with a clear view from the summits on the fingers of one hand. It's a very pretty place though.........

• Wow Wow x 1
  10. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Wow, I didn't know it was clouded that often! On the day we were near Ben Nevis, the visitor center recommended that nobody should try an ascent, due to low clouds, frost and high wind.

Have to say I'm more than a little jealous of you for climbing that many Munros, that must've been many miles of walking in beautiful places... I assume that you live(d) in Scotland?

11. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Great images! What a memorable trip.

12. hannahntilly

hannahntilly SC Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Peter
    I live near London but used to spend a week walking each May. My friends completed all 282 mountains and are now attempting the lower "Corbetts". Very beautiful but often very wet - it's depressing putting on wet boots each day and that's why I lost interest! Ben Nevis can be very scary - I ascended in bright sunshine passing people in t-shirts and flip-flops. In the space of 30 minutes it was a white-out blizzard and very hazardous.

• Wow Wow x 2
  13. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Wow... it always surprises me how some people just don't respect mountains. Just because you saw a local in Bali walk up a mountain in flipflops doesn't mean that you should too, especially in a climate as changeable as Scotland

14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I kept expecting to see Buster show up in a shot. A wonderful set. Congrats on the photos and your engagement. I hope to make that trip one day.

15. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Really nice images.
    . . . David

16. Petach

Petach SC Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Some epic shots there. I think "Come to Scotland" Tourist Board would love to have some of them for advertising!

17. dave6376

dave6376 SC Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Perth, Scotland
    For the benefit of an ignorant Scotsman (who considers himself very lucky to live in such a wonderful country), who or what is "Buster"?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I must admit that part puzzled me as well :hmmm::p

19. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Buster is in so many beautiful Scottish landscape photos, that I assume he is part of the landscape. But it's just that he is out with our forum member Garry. Here's a link to Gary's photostream on Flickr (with a great photo of Buster... DSCF1140

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Buster says thanks for the plug Luke. He is currently with me up near Ullapool at the moment. (work) . Stopping off at North Uist on my way south at the weekend to look over my next possible job. I am so lucky to work in beautiful places , and to have Buster with me.
    Where I’m working at the moment (Mellon Udrigle) seems to attract a steady stream of photographers throughout the week. I’m working right next to the beach so I can understand why. Sadly I’m always working to hard to grab my camera. I’ve an open invitation to visit and stay when the job is complete. Yes my customers at great too .

• Like Like x 1