Lots of Soviet aircrafts

stratokaster

Top Veteran
Name
Pavel
Right before moving to the US, I had a chance to visit Ukrainian State Aviation Museum, which has the largest collection of Soviet aircrafts in the world. Unfortunately, my only serious camera was being serviced at the moment and I only had my cellphone (Sony Xperia T) to take photos. However, I think some of the shots are interesting enough to show them here.

(As a side note, I discovered that while Sony's internal processing is somewhat crappy, the photos from it can be made significantly better by editing them in Lightroom.)

Anatra Anasal, a small reconnaissance plane, produced in Odessa in 1916-1918:

WIVxD9c5QYmXtXQE62MS.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yak-1, the most popular Soviet fighter during WWII:

3fmDI44R7sDqnNannO65.jpg

Yak-18PM. It was an "acrobatic airplane," designed to train Soviet flying aces:

yU5OPjvDIDvMTVSDN24F.jpg

L29A 'Dolphin' and L39C 'Albatross' — small jet trainers.

WQhM2CMp7765OxK0dzhH.jpg

z83iKi6Y3vHCOGgbk5T4.jpg

Experimental plane "No.181" (it wasn't even assigned a proper model name):

hINZ7OfIKpsDj1YUzocF.jpg

An-2, a small multipurpose plane:

RMgPHgnpvHIDeaIlO3hL.jpg

An-26, a small cargo airplane:

AxGtC7L0VrWuHKhCwtoz.jpg

An-71. This is a unique AWACS aircraft developed towards the end of the Soviet Union. There were only 2 built.

pFMgPWuX8XW7ar6LbdTd.jpg

Il-14P. A popular Soviet passenger aircraft, this one was used by Soviet Polar Air Forces. Note the cute penguin on its tail :)

gXO34NteejDitKJqufoN.jpg

99BijCQKhluCKQRc8Pdw.jpg

Il-18. One of the most reliable Soviet long-range liners. The plane was produced in 1958-1978, but it is still in service in some countries.

y8iu0e7mI0t7TLOIt4ym.jpg

Probably the most iconic Soviet turbojets, Tu-134A and Tu-154.

gOWzMAT2L42WBDSPfYvD.jpg

TIM6grQ69T945kKbvWNi.jpg

Yak-40, a small regional jet, somewhat similar to Bombardier CRJ-series.

B5sIjpogkjMdOkcfURfj.jpg

Various MiG interceptors/fighters. All were produced in my home city of Nizhny Novgorod.

7pu8RWrN4lNK2J8DyFuu.jpg

hIVX1X4z2KZZhmWgqbkV.jpg

Ke12bFclrPznKNzKrXio.jpg

hTxSbmBQ58Hrxga285Jj.jpg

7pu8RWrN4lNK2J8DyFuu.jpg

And this is an unmanned version of MiG-21:

ykbdI3igBq3O5L0snLDk.jpg

Su-15TM, another fighter/interceptor:

ROKSXMK1YaM64HZZDrtC.jpg

And now some helicopters. Mi-24B and Mi-24V in a pretty bad shape...

k8Uf93Aq2RfucWi0tdvF.jpg

Those are actually bullet holes:

CvAvouomjUVKSSwmUiUX.jpg

Mi-1M, Mi-2 and Mi-4A general-purpose helicopters:

R58DrjxT4YLGUiCvMxNN.jpg

IDA62ECf3qi6O9AhWET6.jpg

58x41h78tBq9wMOFi1tg.jpg

Mi-6A, a heavy cargo helicopter.

azONo08HiklnR16o9kge.jpg

That's all! I hope you enjoyed this series.

Actually, it's about one half of what they have; I couldn't shoot more because my cellphone's battery was dying.

Some of the planes are in a bad shape... But they are being slowly restored.

wing-1.jpg

Congratulations for your pictures. The quality of the phone pictures has amazed me. I have never dreamed of using a phone for taking pictures, just for quick scans of documents (e.g., receipts and the like). I had never understood the emphasis phone sites put on the camera side. I may have underestimated their potential. I can now understand why phones are replacing lower-quality compacts.

Congratulations for your pictures. The quality of the phone pictures has amazed me. I have never dreamed of using a phone for taking pictures, just for quick scans of documents (e.g., receipts and the like). I had never understood the emphasis phone sites put on the camera side. I may have underestimated their potential. I can now understand why phones are replacing lower-quality compacts.

Thanks. High-end phones have had nice cameras since mid-2000s. By 2011, they were already better than early digital compact cameras. For example, you may check this full-size photo I took with my former Samsung Galaxy S II in 2011: All sizes | Grand Resort Lagonissi, Greece | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The phone I took those shots with (Sony Xperia T) has a rather poor camera; my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) has a much better one, even hough on paper their specs are identical.

They can now actually take pretty good standard shots. It is when you try and push them to do more that they start to show their limits.

Still the target audience is not expecting a whole lot. I mean when taking a shot of yourself in a bathroom mirror, you don't need much.

They can now actually take pretty good standard shots. It is when you try and push them to do more that they start to show their limits.

As you can see in my shots, dynamic range is the primary concern.

Still the target audience is not expecting a whole lot. I mean when taking a shot of yourself in a bathroom mirror, you don't need much.

That's true. When I need to quickly show something to my wife I even use the front camera — its resolution is less than 2 MP and this means that the shot will be uploaded much faster.

Back