Louis Vuitton through the window...

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by dalethorn, May 22, 2016.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

The Louis Vuitton window wasn't blocked last night, so I shot this through the outer window.

Canon SX720, f4.5, 1/6 sec. braced against window, ISO 80.
    Louis_Vuitton14_s.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Covey22

Covey22 SC Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Expensive window!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Yeah, I'd guess about $100 - $150k on display in that room. But values in boutiques can really fool a person. There's a Gucci store down the hall, and Gucci items typically average 1/2 to 2/3 the price of comparable LV items. But Gucci puts the occasional croc or snakeskin bag on display, and one of those bags is nearly $30k, where the average LV bag is $2 - $3k. One of the employees was telling me that her other half offered to buy her a Hermes bag for her birthday, which costs $3500 - a veritable bargain. The Apple Hermes watch is only $1500, much cheaper. And Hermes has a nice man's watch on their site for around $7500. So, while a small wallet or similar could be had in one of these stores for a month's pay, dressing a person completely in one of these places costs serious money.

4. Covey22

Covey22 SC Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    30K for a handbag. I guess it's all about priorities!

5. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I can appreciate some of the pricy goods out there that offer things that I can relate to, like an Omega or Rolex watch, or a couple of LV's wallets that are under $500 but extremely well made and durable. But $30k just to get alligator or whatever it is - that's a category of consumerism as foreign to me as Moon rocks. I've touched one of those super-priced bags, but there was no electricity in that feel - nothing. Thank goodness for that!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Covey22

Covey22 SC Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    30K is more than I've ever spent for a car, and my family is on #3. Closest I've gotten to that is the 2015 Dodge Charger I was in while my bus was under recall repair. Now that was an exciting amount of money if I could ever afford it.

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I rode in my boss's Dodge Viper circa 1997. That was fun. But given traffic conditions I'm in every day, and given a choice, I'd love to have a fully restored 1920's car (or early 30's) that has the pop-up seat in back. Now if I had real money and lived in Santa Barbara and were young enough to make use of it, I'd take a cherry red Rolls with matching upholstery and ragtop, and cruise the beaches there on weekends. Maybe in the next life...

8. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Now if they were camera bags . . .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    They obviously need to design a padded insert and market these as camera bags

• Like Like x 2
  10. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Funny thing - I have asked them about that. Now they have a couple of nice cases for iPads - sleeves and stand-up cases too, and they have a traditional (but large-ish) carry case for laptop computers, but nothing that works well for cameras, large or small. I recently bought a small Oberwerth bag, and also have a couple of small Billinghams, but LV seems unaware of that market. BTW, a small bag for a camera, lens, extra battery, lens wipes etc. - probably would not be more than $1500 at LV.

11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I need to get measurements of a few of their models and match them up with readily available inserts. I should be able to sell a couple "customized" LV camera bags and use the markup to buy another camera that I won't use.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

That's the spirit of entrepreneurship right there!

13. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Image #1 is the monthly Louis Vuitton poster, posted outside of the store, behind glass with considerable glare, making it a challenge to photograph. Image #2 is a Louis Vuitton bag in a window display, and was taken with the iPhone 6-plus using the phone's built-in lens.

iPhone 6s-plus, Zeiss ExoLens, Cortex Camera App, indoor exposure.
    Louis_Vuitton15_s.

iPhone 6-plus, Cortex Camera App, exposure through display window.
    Louis_Vuitton02_s.