1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Hi-Res Loupe Tool - Like or No Like?

Discussion in 'Hi-Res' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I installed a script that lets you mouseover large images (which get auto-resized to fit your browser window) and pixel peep the original size. For example, try mousing over this image:

[​IMG]

Should we keep it? Too distracting?

2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I'm trying to break this habit so I'm not very keen!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I made it smaller to be less conspicuous...

4. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    speaking of resizing to browser window...

Is there a way to auto-resize larger images to the visible height of the browser window - instead of width?
    At the moment I'm still sharing at smaller sizes to avoid having to scroll up and down in order to view an entire image.

Apologies if that has come up before - or if I'm overlooking an existing solution. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Sorry, there is currently no way to do that.

6. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    i post small images so its fairly pointless
    maybe useful if we had an option when to use it as & when required

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Example #2:

19514566829_1c6153e6a6_o.

8. taqtaq

taqtaq SC Regular

May 31, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    Tuukka
    I was curious about this, and tried something with my browser's developer tools:
    .messageText img { max-height: calc(100vh - 50px); }
    did the trick on the latest Safari on my Mac. Didn't bother testing other browsers though..

What comes to the actual topic, I though it was cool until Amin added the second photo. With those sizes the site scrolls slowly, and freezes for about second when I hover over an image. I don't want to see what happens when a page has a dozen of photos of that size ;)

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm generally not a pixel peeper and at first I thought it was very distracting. Then when I forgot about it, I realize that I usually navigate by moving my cursor to the right and using the mouse wheel to scroll so at that point, I don;t see the distracting enlargement. But it's nice to have it there when I want it.

I thought before I could click on an image to enlarge it......is this an either/or scenario? I'd much rather be able to click on an image and have it fill my screen. Although right now I'm on my desktop which has a bigger screen.....and 99% of the time I'm on the site, I'm on a laptop with a small screen so maybe that plays into it as well.

Put me down as ambivalent. :whistling:

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I think regardless we should encourage a max 1600px guideline other than threads which are specifically labeled with a "Hi res - bandwidth warning" label or equivalent.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I disabled it for now. Will play with it to see if I can make it less distracting / resource heavy.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    Okay, how's this? Loupe tool only active in the new "Hi-Res" subforum. That work for everyone?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    excellent solution

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.