Fuji Loving the X10 again...

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
As I'd mentioned, I just couldn't bond with the RX100 despite its amazing sensor, so I picked up another X10 last week after finding a stock of new-sensor (ie, no orbs) cameras at Best Buy. Spent some time shooting with it yesterday, both at a local street fair (chili festival, so everyone is eating) and just walking around town. I loved this camera when I had it the first time and I love it more now without having to worry about orbs (although I haven't shot with it at night yet, to take advantage of its orb-less-ness). Its IQ isn't quite up to the level of the RX100, particularly in low light, but its really really good. And the lens is better (particularly by being faster throughout the zoom range) and the handling is just waaaaaay better for my needs. And it has those great Fuji colors... Overall, a better tool for me. For street shooting I shoot at full resolution so I can crop and I don't worry about the ultimate in DR. For other stuff I leave it in medium resolution with the EXR functionality enabled and auto ISO and auto DR. The camera is just FUN to shoot with, a feeling I never managed to have with the RX100. Just really glad to have this camera back in my stable with the X-Pro and the OMD...

Here are a few shots from the day. Nothing special, just fun stuff to be out shooting on a nice day:

Some early Halloween decorations:

View attachment 60370

View attachment 60371

A couple of random shots, including the fallout from the Chili Fest:

View attachment 60372

View attachment 60373

And a few street shots (probably not for Luke :cool:):

View attachment 60374

View attachment 60375

View attachment 60376

View attachment 60377

-Ray

My wife's birthday is today - I gave her the RX100. She'll use it in full auto anyway and it will be PERFECT for the kind of shooting she does, mostly inside her classroom with sometimes moving kids. Her previous compact wasn't up to the job most of the time (and I often had to try to fix mostly unfixable images) and the RX100 should be excellent for it. If she decides she doesn't like it (HIGHLY unlikely - but it doesn't have as long a zoom as her previous camera, so who knows), then I'll sell it at some point. For now, its still in the family and will probably live on in her purse... I doubt I'll use it anymore, although if we're out some evening and she has it with her and I see something I'd like to shoot, I can't promise I won't borrow it for the occasional shot, but its basically hers unless she decides she doesn't want it...

-Ray

So glad you're back with that X10 again, Ray. Not that I'm biased or anything.:D It is a very handy camera.

Looking forward to seeing more photos here and on Flickr as time goes by!

There are a few "handy cameras" out there - I guess its just down to personal fit. I had my eyes glazed by the sensor on the RX100 and it is every bit as good as advertised. But there's a lot more to a camera than the sensor and for me at least, the X10 is an overwhelmingly better camera. The RX100 just wasn't a very good camera for me other than the sensor. The X10 is better in every respect except the sensor and the sensor in the X10 isn't that far behind - its a stop or maybe a stop and a half in low light at the wide end but that advantage quickly disappears as you move through the zoom range. And the X10 is still very good in low light, just not quite AS good. Sort of like the OMD is very very good in low light, just not quite AS good as the X-Pro, but I still take out the OMD in low light sometimes instead of the X-Pro because its good enough and is a better camera for some types of uses...

I really did fall in love with the X10 when I had it the first time. But I knew I couldn't trust it for night shooting in the urban areas I tend to favor because of the orbs and they even wrecked a few daylight shots, although not enough to matter. Once the orbs were solved, I should have just gotten another one and signed up to have the sensor replaced, but I figured I'd wait and then the RX100 came along and I guess I had to try it. In retrospect, that was a mistake, but I wouldn't have known that if I didn't spend some time with the RX100. Live and learn. :cool:

-Ray

Great photos, Ray. I know what you mean about these cameras. I decided to give the RX100 a shot for several reasons, not the least of which was that it's what my Best Buy had in stock, but if I had to choose a "desert island camera", I'm pretty sure it would be the X10.

Great photos, Ray. I know what you mean about these cameras. I decided to give the RX100 a shot for several reasons, not the least of which was that it's what my Best Buy had in stock, but if I had to choose a "desert island camera", I'm pretty sure it would be the X10.

The RX100 is a great camera and if it fits your shooting style, you can't do any better in the compact segment today. For me, though, the tradeoffs just didn't work and the X10 seems to be in my sweet spot between IQ and features/handling. I hope you enjoy it - it never failed to impress me at what it did well.

-Ray

"Desert Island Camera" is a great description, I love the X10 but there are times when I think do not use it enough and have thought of selling it. But then I throw it my bag, shoot with it again and remember what a smile it brings to my face to use this little camera. One of the best of the “Handy” cameras.
Ray love the images

Ray, I am loving your shots!

Please do not ever get rid of your X10 again...ever!

Can you tell me what PP you used on the set....particularly the B&W's.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks so much Neil. The processing on the B&W shots is mostly done in Silver Efex Pro after some very minor tweaks in Lightroom. No particular secrets, just play with the sliders until it looks right. Usually add a few control points to most shots. The color shots are just Lightroom with Color Efex Pro used for the borders...

-Ray

Ray, I love the shots. I have just come back from Copenhagen, having taken my Leica MP as main, and the Fuji as backup (I also had my GRDIII in a pocket, 'cos I LOVE "HiBW" ;) ). The X10 is such a nice handling camera that produces splendid results. It ain't pocketable, but then not much in life that is worthwhile, is... :D

Steve - I upgraded the first day I had the X10 - a definite improvement I knew well from the X-Pro.

Neil - oversaturaters of the world unite!

Gary - thanks and god I hope not! When I played a lot of guitar I had three instruments (one acoustic, two electrics) for playing different kind of music. When I was heavily into cycling I had a few different bikes for different types of riding - I'm not into it now but I still have three (one for knocking around town and two serious road bikes with different geometry and different attitudes about them - I also used to have a mountain bike and cyclocross bike and fixed gear). Now that I'm into cameras, I continue to like the variety in the shooting experience. None of my gear is all that complicated - I'm able to learn it and commit the controls to muscle memory even when I change between cameras/systems. Kind of like having Campy on one bike and Shimano on another - it takes you about 30 seconds at the beginning of each ride to remember what you're working with and then its automatic - same with my camera gear. The OMD excels at some things, the X-Pro at some other things (with some overlap), and its always nice to have a compact do-it-all for when that's all you want to carry and think about... But I can switch between them and be perfectly at home with the new piece of gear I pick up VERY quickly...

-Ray

Back