Panasonic Low Light Settings on an LF1

I recently acquired an LF1 and I am a little puzzled by some of the settings when shooting in low light. In P with the flash off, ISO set to Auto, the camera will choose a wide open aperture, but a really slow shutter speed, like 1/4 or something. But the ISO chosen will not be very high, sometimes only 200 or 400? I can bring the shutter speed up of course by manually adjusting the ISO, shouldn't the camera be choosing the ISO with shutter speed in mind? If I turn the flash on, the camera will then choose a faster shutter speed, 1/60 is typical. I mean if I wanted to shoot at really slow speeds I would use the shutter speed priority mode!

In iAuto mode, the problem is even more frustrating as I don't have the ability to turn the ISO up myself. So I am always shooting at a really slow shutter speed. And unlike P mode, if I turn on the flash, the shutter speed still stays very low. Does this seem normal? Is there a setting I am missing somewhere? (Extended ISO is enabled in the menu.)

Thank you all and I would like to remark about what a great forum this is!

Welcome to the forum! Does the LF1 have an ISO limit setting?

I don't have a LF1, but I have the same issues with the Fuji XF1. Auto ISO often chooses ISO that results in low shutter speed, forcing me to increase ISO manually, or make darn sure that I am holding the camera VERY steady. I think some of these point and shoot cameras try too hard to keep the ISO as low as possible to lessen noise.

Does the LF1 keep the shutter speed that ridiculously low even at full zoom?
Yes, the camera will still choose very low shutter speeds. I just metered a spot in a dim room. ISO 400, f 2.0 SS 1/10 at wide.
Same spot at full zoom, ISO 1600, f 5.9 SS at 1/4. The 1/4 SS speed seems to be the slowest it will choose.

Back