Sony Low Tide Macro Pics

There was a -2.5 ft low tide at the beach near where we live. I minced my way out toward where the waves were lapping up on the barnacle covered rocks, and took these shots with my RX100. All were shot at ISO 80, wide open, between 1/400-1/2,000. Some PP cropping.

Attachments

• Low Tide 1.jpg
    Low Tide 1.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Low Tide 2.jpg
    Low Tide 2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Low Tide 3.jpg
    Low Tide 3.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 191
  • Low Tide 4.jpg
    Low Tide 4.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 212
I love that first one particularly -- it's like an angry alien eye, lol. The others hit me like abstracts. If I had a criticism it would only be one thing: watch out for blur in the foreground. With some subjects (and maybe these) it's unavoidable but for some reason the human visual system finds foreground focus and background blur more pleasing than vice versa. However, that "rule" too is sometimes made to be broken! Nothing is that simple, lol. In fact, I think the second photo breaks that rule well using the unfocused objects to "frame" the subject.

But that being said, sometimes you have something in the foreground that isn't the subject and can't be in focus without taking the subject out of focus. Really busy areas in terms of depth are hard to macro in my experience -- though I'm sure some find it easy I've had to work at it. That's why you don't see a lot of macro work from me, lol!

Thanks for your comments on my work as well.

Bristol Channel UK
the local bay is shallow & the tide goes out 2 miles or so & takes an 400 metre wade before its just deep enough to dive in
gets higher the further you go up eg Weston Super Mare was 10.5 Metres on the same day

Back