1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Low Tide Macro Pics

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by tombodailey, Apr 30, 2013.

1. tombodailey

tombodailey SC Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    There was a -2.5 ft low tide at the beach near where we live. I minced my way out toward where the waves were lapping up on the barnacle covered rocks, and took these shots with my RX100. All were shot at ISO 80, wide open, between 1/400-1/2,000. Some PP cropping.

Attached Files:

2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Those are really, really cool!

3. tombodailey

tombodailey SC Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Thanks, John. After just looking at your awesome work--something to aspire to--a compliment from you is high praise.

4. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I love that first one particularly -- it's like an angry alien eye, lol. The others hit me like abstracts. If I had a criticism it would only be one thing: watch out for blur in the foreground. With some subjects (and maybe these) it's unavoidable but for some reason the human visual system finds foreground focus and background blur more pleasing than vice versa. However, that "rule" too is sometimes made to be broken! Nothing is that simple, lol. In fact, I think the second photo breaks that rule well using the unfocused objects to "frame" the subject.

But that being said, sometimes you have something in the foreground that isn't the subject and can't be in focus without taking the subject out of focus. Really busy areas in terms of depth are hard to macro in my experience -- though I'm sure some find it easy I've had to work at it. That's why you don't see a lot of macro work from me, lol!

Thanks for your comments on my work as well.

5. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    food for thought there

we have 8.5metre 28ft tide locallly today

6. Great detail and closeups

7. tombodailey

tombodailey SC Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Wow! Our max tide is only a little over half that. Bay of Fundy?

8. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Bristol Channel UK
    the local bay is shallow & the tide goes out 2 miles or so & takes an 400 metre wade before its just deep enough to dive in
    gets higher the further you go up eg Weston Super Mare was 10.5 Metres on the same day

9. Lars Corso

Lars Corso SC Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi, great pictures. Different from usual posts. Congratulations, good idea and good final product.

10. mta1963

mta1963 SC Rookie

Sep 12, 2012
    Your Face book Pics......

Hi - I just looked at the pics on your FB page and just wanted to say that your work is really great and very inspiring!
    Regards
    Mike