Micro 4/3 Lumix LF1 Review

wow. i continue to marvel at what they pack in these tiny bodies. i read a couple of other reviews and it seems to me, and other reviewers, that though its the same sensor, the IQ is noticeably inferior in detail reproduction to the LX7.

now, certainly the IQ up to 1600 seems very impressive for this tiny package, as the LX7 is not pocketable and i think has no vf and tops out at 90mm vs the lf1's 200mm. so its kind of a tradeoff. i think the LF2 or 3 may indeed be the total package...

I just don't like the direction they went with the lens over the LX7. Not as wide and MUCH slower zoom.

Guess they are following the Leica M-mini in going for slower lenses, I don't know.

you can't have a pocketable zoom of this size and have it be fast. It's not the kind of camera I would buy, but I would think for those looking for a travel camera, the extra zoom range would be more useful than a larger aperture. Most tourist shots are outside in good light and shallow DOF with small sensor cameras is kind of a joke anyways. This is the kind of camera I would recommend to my wife. She likes the ability to zoom, but she also prefers small cameras to bridge cameras.

i agree with you luke, except when it comes to cam-tech i never say never! ):

i think its just another incarnation or two before we get a cam of this size with a lens thats 'fast enough' and IQ thats 'good enough' (matches my xz-2) with this cam's IS and vf. then i'm in!

you can't have a pocketable zoom of this size and have it be fast. It's not the kind of camera I would buy, but I would think for those looking for a travel camera, the extra zoom range would be more useful than a larger aperture. Most tourist shots are outside in good light and shallow DOF with small sensor cameras is kind of a joke anyways. This is the kind of camera I would recommend to my wife. She likes the ability to zoom, but she also prefers small cameras to bridge cameras.

I am just not their market I suppose. I thought perhaps this was meant to replace the LX line or something. Apparently not then?

i'm not sure. from what i saw, and admittedly its a limited sample, i think the IQ (unfortunately) rivals the x20. this is really the first of its kind: a shirt-pocketable 28-200 useable to iso1600, 2.0 at the wide end, with a vf. i think we should cut panny a break here! ):

i'm not sure. from what i saw, and admittedly its a limited sample, i think the IQ (unfortunately) rivals the x20. this is really the first of its kind: a shirt-pocketable 28-200 useable to iso1600, 2.0 at the wide end, with a vf. i think we should cut panny a break here! ):

I have no problem with a new "class" of pocket camera -- I'm just saying it's not a replacement for the LX7's capabilities and if they think it is they're tripping, lol. But, put the LF1 sensor in the LX7 and you've got a real winner with that fast f/1.4-2.3 lens. Maybe that's next.

john, i may be wrong, but from what i read i believe its exactly the same sensor as the lx7. i think the IQ difference comes from the resolving differences in the lenses used by each camera. and obviously the lf1 is not as versatile because its SLOW.

john, i may be wrong, but from what i read i believe its exactly the same sensor as the lx7. i think the IQ difference comes from the resolving differences in the lenses used by each camera. and obviously the lf1 is not as versatile because its SLOW.

Hmmm... LX7 was 10 megapixels but it was a multi-aspect sensor so it was actually 12 megapixels. Did they just use all of them then? Wouldn't be a 4:3 crop then though.

i'm not sure about the consequence to the aspect ratio, hmm...but i believe it was the review in Cameralabs that said it was the same sensor. another, if i recall correctly, termed it an lx7 sensor stuffed in a smaller package, or some similar sentiment.

i remember a few years ago, when mirrorless was in its infancy, thinking to myself 'interesting side show, but itll never replace FF dslrs'. then, when the x100 came out, and after some appropriate 'vetting' time, i was happily trading in my 5d for it, selling my huge contax lenses, and marveling that i was getting equal IQ up to 800 and better above that! i think techology is just outrunning our imagination.

i'm not sure about the consequence to the aspect ratio, hmm...but i believe it was the review in Cameralabs that said it was the same sensor. another, if i recall correctly, termed it an lx7 sensor stuffed in a smaller package, or some similar sentiment.

i remember a few years ago, when mirrorless was in its infancy, thinking to myself 'interesting side show, but itll never replace FF dslrs'. then, when the x100 came out, and after some appropriate 'vetting' time, i was happily trading in my 5d for it, selling my huge contax lenses, and marveling that i was getting equal IQ up to 800 and better above that! i think techology is just outrunning our imagination.

Maybe they mean it's the same sensor technology, and not the same sensor per-se. Time will tell I'm sure. It's a fact though that you can't do 12mp from the LX7's sensor without having something other than a 4:3 crop so I'm dubious about it being exactly the same sensor based on that alone.

i went back to check and youre right john, its not the same sensor, but the same sized sensor. heres what CameraLabs has to say:

Panasonic Lumix LF1 review | Cameralabs

"Panasonic Lumix LF1 sensor

Panasonic has equipped the Lumix LF1 with a new 12 Megapixel sensor which measures 1/1.7in - that's the same effective size as the LX7's sensor, but with two more Megapixels squeezed in there. The 1/1.7in sensor size is a little larger than the 1/2.3in size commonly employed by average point-and-shoot cameras, potentially giving models like the LF1 and LX7 a small advantage when it comes to noise levels and dynamic range."

now i,m not so very tech savvy, but my assumption is that two same-sized sensors, one generation removed, coming from the same company with a couple more pixels should yield very similar IQ, differences therein attributed to the different lenses resolving power. but thats just my assumption, and you know what they say about assumptions! ):

I think a camera that fits in a pocket, has an EVF (however small and grainy it may be), a 28-200 zoom, and an apparently goog picture quality is notable. Would it replace my LX7? No, it is a different animal, and although definitely compact, I am not sure that it qualifies for the serious category. Wait and see. I would not mind having one, and it seems to me to be the almost perfect fit for my girlfriend. She is a good photographer, but contrary to me she prefers long lenses to wide-angles. Nothing wrong with that, even if some people think that to be a good photographer you must use wide-angles, and do street photography - however boring and uninteresting - in black-and-white.

I think a camera that fits in a pocket, has an EVF (however small and grainy it may be), a 28-200 zoom, and an apparently goog picture quality is notable. Would it replace my LX7? No, it is a different animal, and although definitely compact, I am not sure that it qualifies for the serious category. Wait and see. I would not mind having one, and it seems to me to be the almost perfect fit for my girlfriend. She is a good photographer, but contrary to me she prefers long lenses to wide-angles. Nothing wrong with that, even if some people think that to be a good photographer you must use wide-angles, and do street photography - however boring and uninteresting - in black-and-white.

MEOW!

lol

I bought the LF1 about 3 weeks ago, strange how the dealer got it but other shops are still waiting for stock. I have posted some photos in another thread. I am that impressed with it that I sold all my micro 4/3 kit.

Basic summary : 28-200mm zoom beats the 28-90mm standard µ4/3 zoom. Macro focus down to "lens near touching subject distance". Built in EVF is BASIC quality but beats rear screen in bright light. It fits easily in trousers pocket, always with me, unlike µ4/3.

Now the part that will ruffle a few feathers and wee all over the basic principles of photographic life........ stand by to throw rocks at me...

I have an interest in visiting new show homes, I like to take photos of interior design etc of modern houses.....yes OK I am weird. Indoors so lower light levels. Cannot turn up with a tripod when I am being discreet and would rather not be seen taking photos. How can I get small enough aperture for the required depth of field and high enough shutter speed for hand held use ? yes of course the ISO must go up.

The results are strange..... the LF1 gives better results than µ4/3 G1 / GF1. Now of course you are not going to believe that are you ?

The LF1 is now my only camera. I started in photography about 50 years ago and the LF1 is the best all round deal ever. LF1 can be carried everywhere and does all that I want. Well that's me done.

Panasonic LF1
23699051.352f0d2a.500.jpg

Back