Compact lx5 vs x10 for b&w

bwana

cant decide between an LX5 or an x10 for b&w shooting. Lx5 has in camera b&w high dynamic range options. x10 has the exr for extended dyn rng. the x10 is 6mp w fuji lens and the lx5 10mp w leica lens, -> better detail for lx5?

I prefer shooting in color (raw with most cameras) and converting to B&W over pretty much any in-camera B&W filter (even the wonderful Ricoh HiBW setting). So, both are excellent for shooting B&W. The differences are what you'd expect - the X10 is cleaner at higher ISO than the LX5 and that translates to B&W just as with color. I have plenty of B&W results I'm very happy with from each camera...

-Ray

Wow, that's a great deal for that camera. Although it would just give me pause that something that much better is just around the corner, but OTOH, the LX5 isn't gonna stop working just like it always has. I sold mine a while back and can't say I regret it, but that camera never ceased to amaze me by how well thought out and put together it was. It did everything really really well. The IQ on the X10 is notably better, particularly with EXR engaged, but at less than half the price, that LX5 is looking awfully good for a bargain hunter.

-Ray

Back