1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LX7 has arrived in my hands...and it's a stunner!!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic/Leica Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    OK I have just got home and have taken a few shots in the garden to see what this new Lumix LX7 is really like. I took a few at work after charging the battery and looking at those I can tell straight away that this camera is good! I took a shot of my work pal and the detail in his face, hair and beard was very impressive. The LX7 looks just like the LX5 but with a few subtle differences. The aperture ring is the main thing you notice and the lens element is different also. Setting the camera up was a doddle and it was nice to see some features that i will really want to use. For example the S90/S95 and S100 all have step focal lengths so you can shoot in the most common focal lengths that full frame cameras with primes will shoot like 24mm, 35mm etc etc. This feature is in the LX7 which I'm really happy about. The built in ND filter works really well. I took 2 shots, one with and one without the ND filter and the images looked exactly the same except that the shutter was reduced from 1600th in the first to 200th in the second with the filter on. The detail for a compact and general IQ so far has impressed me and once i have mastered this camera it should produce some great quality images. I have only shot in Jpg at factory settings and will try the RAW later but for now I'm a happy bunny!

Here are some images hastily shot before the sun went in! 1920 pixel wide images on Flickr, just click the link under the image or the image.

THE LX7

Panasonic Lumix LX7 Test by andywest1, on Flickr

NON edited image at f1.9

Non edited image at f1.9

Edited macro at f1.4. I missed the focus as i moved when taking the shot. Proves shallow DOF at f1.4 in Macro mode.

Edited macro at f3.5. Missed focus again slightly!!

• Like Like x 11
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    great to hear you like it so much, looking forward to seeing more from your LX7!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I can see already that the LX7 jpeg color trounces the LX5's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Yeah, as i said, I have not played with any of the colour / sharpening settings at all so things should only get better!! Some say the RAW's are better than the Jpg's but the Jpg's look great to me!!

6. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I hope you post more pics... I enjpy viewing them, and it's nice to not have to deal with the unpleasantness that's on DPR. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Panasonic colors have always been totally flat SOOC. This is like a complete 180. They almost seem oversaturated now, but maybe it's my garbage monitor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog SC Regular

Nice to hear a good wrap for this camera. I'm thinking of purchasing one for an overseas trip. There will be a lot of bus trips and walking so I want something small and simple. I had read about this. Currently I have an LX2 but it's not good enough. I'm impressed - now how can I get is approved by my wife?
    Cheers
    DUD

• Like Like x 1
  9. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    Great first photos!!!! Looking forward to see what you take next time :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    • Like Like x 2
  11. jim_khoo

jim_khoo SC Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    is it a touch screen like to GX1?

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    No touch screen on the LX7...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Yeah no touch screen. Lots of options though which will keep me out of trouble for a while!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You seem happy. :tongue: The colors do really pop in those shots and they are sharp. I actually bought a used LX3 for my sister a while back and I was pretty impressed with the IQ it produced.

15. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I still have my LX3; very capable little camera. I skipped the LX5. Will wait and see on the LX7...

16. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Congratulations. It's a great looking little camera. I too still have my LX3. Maybe all I really need is an RX100 and an LX3/7.

17. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    The colours and dynamic range look very nice. The macro bokeh has a kind of swirl to it as well, which is cool! My next small sensor camera is likely to be the next Ricoh GRD, though, as the LX7 isn't pocketable in the same way. Congrats on your new camera!

18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Why both?

-Ray

19. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I interpreted LX3/7 as either/or.

20. davidw

davidw SC Regular

Aug 4, 2012
    I love my LX3. But the LX7 so far seems pretty good.