M 4/3 Newbie from Greater Manchester UK. Hi

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Judderman62, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Hi All

Name's Mike and I been using cameras for some 34 years or so starting with a Kodak 110 film camera , before going on to a Canon AE-1.

Had various digital cameras and now have 4 DSLR's, a Canon G10, a Pentax Q, an Olymous OM1 (35mm film) and today bought a Panny GX1

Main areas of interest, photography wise, are dereliction and abandonment, historical buildings/heritage and in last couple of years Goth/steampunk/war time/1940's type events and the wonderful folk attending these.

Fancy dabbling in street photography but not sure I'll have the courage :(

2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    That sounds like a fair old collection of cameras! Here's hoping that you like the GX1; there's certainly plenty of great lenses available for it. I'd be interested to see pictures from some of the subjects you describe. Welcome to the forum.

3. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Thanks LP - is one only meant to post pics taken with the smaller cams ? Most stuff I've shot in past few years have been with Pentax K5's :)

Cheers for the welcome

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Welcome Mike. Really, the bigger m43 cams aren't that much smaller than the K5. Anyways, the ethos here is if you consider it small enough, then it is. The site is about inclusivity, not exclusivity. I've been posting shots from my new K-30. Start sharing some of your favorites.

5. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    thanks for the welcome LUke :) OK will chuck some photos up over the coming days :)

6. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Hi Mike! :th_salute:

7. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Welcome!

8. Phoenix

Phoenix SC Top Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome Mike

Steampunk and streetphotography are also main interests of mine, though admittedly I lack the courage for street hence my images are never any good :tongue:

9. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Welcome Mike! Where have you been?! Let's see some images - how about starting a steampunk thread? ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

10. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Thanks all for the warm wecomes :)

Where have I been ? well on flickr and Pentax User :)

Steampunk/goth thread sounds a plan :biggrin:

11. Fiddler

Fiddler SC Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Colin
    Welcome Judderman62!

12. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Welcome! My daughter lives in Todmorden just down the line so I get up your way from time to time. Great area for photography in my opinion -- I love the north country.

Some of the stuff I took out there is here: Todmorden, West Yorkshire, UK - a set on Flickr

13. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    I like Toddy - 'tis a nice area with a nice old world charm about it. Also home to the Abraham Ormerod centre - where a certain Doctor staretd in general practice and is believed to have started his murdering ways before moving to Hyde.

Oh and yes I have been inside it - took 3 visits before we found a way in :

4761010554_212c11c3ed_z.

14. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! Excellent! I was unaware of any of that story until you just told me this. Very cool.

The only urbex stuff I did was in Keighley and I got caught. They were very nice, let me continue photographing, and gave me tea afterwards and I say only in the UK, lol. That set is here if you're interested-- it's the old Dalton Mills where the mill scenes for the mini-series "North and South" was shot.

15. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    wow that is very cool indeed - thankfully rarely been caught by security/police but never been allowed to carry on when I have - what nice security they have in Keighley.

dalton is on my "to do" list :)

16. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Just had a look at your Dalton pics - love them. Liking the orange pillars and Jack's workshop is wonderful :)

17. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Hi Mike, just bought a GX1 myself and looking forward to this horrible cold weather to end so I can get out and use it!

18. Judderman62

Judderman62 SC Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester, UK
    Mike
    Hiya Martin

see you're not a million miles from me :) Nah wrap up warm and get out there ;)