M4/3 Noise

Discussion in 'Four Thirds Forum' started by Frank, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Frank

Frank SC Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    I love my Panasonic GX7 (touchscreen, silent, flip screen & vf, menus etc) but am stumped by m4/3 noise (& puny image stabilisation). Is noise better on any other m4/3 camera? Other wise I have to sell up kit (20mm, 43mm & oly 75mm) & return to a larger sensor boo hoo.
    I thought I should clear up a few things after receiving a pm - Most people would not find the noise very objectionable. I want to almost double the pixel dimension (ACR up-sizing) to enable good 15x20 @ 360ppi prints. So even tiny under exposure or lifting of shadows results in noise. Which can of course be treated with the Noise reduction slider but at a softening / mushy price. I come from a full frame background so am after the smoothest most noiseless possible results
    I shoot mostly 400 iso and sometimes 200 or 800. Never more than 1600.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    The GX8 and Pen-F should be marginally better, with the newer 20mp sensor. But otherwise, the sensor in the GX7 was pretty much state of the art in the m43 world for a few years. I don't know how much different the new sensor will be. I never had any issues with the noise in the 16mp sensors (the earlier 12mp were another issue - don't even THINK about trying to brighten a shadow from that sensor), but it's a relatively common complaint...

-Ray

3. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    The Olympus E-M5, which shares the sensor of the GX7, has a strangely 'dirty' look in the shadows which comes from a pointillist dotting of noise. While not directly visible on first glance, it does have an almost subliminal effect which makes one think that the image is gritty and charcoalish, in a sense. This noise is far more visible when the shadows are pushed.

I have not seen this kind of shadow/black noise in the Panasonic GM1, which has a different sensor from the E-M5 and GX7. I do use a tiny touch of luminance noise reduction in Lightroom with the GM1, but it is considerably better than the E-M5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I was talking to a Panasonic employee a few weeks ago at a show I did with them in London and he said that the key is to nail the exposure. Get that exposure correct and use a histogram if possible and you should have better files.

Quote: I have not seen this kind of shadow/black noise in the Panasonic GM1, which has a different sensor from the E-M5 and GX7.

The GX7 and GM1 share the same sensor and processor.

5. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ahhh, I had mixed something up. The E-M5 and the GH3 have the same sensor, which is kind of odd, given that the GH3 doesn't seem to suffer the same noise issues as the E-M5.

6. I think it's all in the processing. You can't have everything so one company will choose one set of algorithms and the other a different set of algorithms to process the images.