Samsung m42 lens

bryanashford

Rookie
going on holidays soon would appreciate some advice on some wide angle m42 lens some beach photography any one got any ideas which are quite good for this please help

Novice question about M42 lenses.

going on holidays soon would appreciate some advice on some wide angle m42 lens some beach photography any one got any ideas which are quite good for this please help

These are screw/threaded type if I understand correctly. Are all Leica screw/threaded lens the same thread size? I see a lot of them on Ebay.

Dan -- M42 are old SLR lenses & have a 42mm diameter thread mount ; the old Leica thread (variously also known as Leica screw mount/LTM/L39/M39) mount is 39mm.

I'm not quite sure what bryanashford is asking here?

I researched a bit this subject last year and ended with VIVITAR 28mm for my Sony Nex3. I managed to find one made by KOMINE (the serial number should start with 28) as they are considered to be the sharpest and of overall better quality than other Vivitars. It's OK, soft (but somewhat dreamy appealing looking) wide open and pretty good at f8. My manual focusing skills need improvement, though:) And it's not a wide angle really once atached to 1.5 crop factor body. Maybe you would want at least 24mm?

Wide Super Takumars are consider to be the best, but start at f3.5 (which I do not think is problem as I stop my Vivitar to at least f4 anyhow) and are more pricey (which influenced my decision much more:)).

You might find these threads interesting, from Flickr M42 group:

Flickr: Discussing Wide - angle lens in M42

Flickr: Discussing Best 24mm M42 lens in M42

Here's that group, lot's of useful stuff on M42:

Flickr: M42

And another huge resource:

compatibilite-en

Maybe I could find a sample or two of my images, but I used that lens mostly on our holidays and I don't post my family photos on Flickr. Will check if there are some neutral ones, but still interesting as examples.

It's going to be tough finding a good m42 wideangle that stays a true wideangle on your Samsung, due to the crop factor. I'm not sure there's anything decent under 28mm in m42 mount. And Samsung has good and cheap lenses at these focal lengths don't they?

remember your x2 crop factor with M43 cams

so wide angle SLRs lens that are wide angle on a small sensor camera can be difficult to find and then they are not really wide angle

24mm SLR lens = 48mm on an M43 cam

Dan -- M42 are old SLR lenses & have a 42mm diameter thread mount ; the old Leica thread (variously also known as Leica screw mount/LTM/L39/M39) mount is 39mm.

I'm not quite sure what bryanashford is asking here?

Thanks Pdh. So any screw mount Leica I find will be 39mm. That is good to know. But now I am confused because the adapter I bought (by mistake) says M42 but my calipers show a 39mm thread.

Dan I'm not an engineer by any means so I can't explain that ... :( ... might be worth asking in the "Projects/Repair" subforum and hoping Brian sees it, he's the man for this sort of query ...

paul

Dan,
Leica screw mount is indeed 39mm, as well as Russian rangefinder lenses for Kiev and Zorki. M42 is Pentax screw mount standard that got accepted by many others. The first being from rangefinder origins and the second from SLR, they sport different registration distances (from lens to film/sensor plane).

So an easy way to tell if you have an adapter for M39 or M42 is to check its thickness. If it's just a few millimeters thick, it's M39; if it's somewhere around 30mm, it's M42.

Back