1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Maybe rule out the Nikon d600

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by wt21, Sep 12, 2012.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
  2. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    I wonder if that is just the currency conversion, Japan market pricing (not sure if that is normally higher), or maybe a kit?

I always wondered if $1500 for the body was optimistic, but it wouldn't make much much sense to have it priced so closely to the D800?

3. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    $2800 when the D800 is selling for $3000? They might as well not launch it then.
    I could see $2000 or even $2200 though.

4. stanleyk

stanleyk SC Top Veteran

May 23, 2011
    Taylor, Texas
    I bet it ends up around $2000-2500 as a D700 replacement. I think some people don't want to mess with 36MP files. I didn't get a D800 because of that. I had actually sold my D700 but backed out because it. That's an awful lot of memory/megapixels for someone who never prints bigger than 12 X 18. I would definitely get a D800 before spending $3000+ on a Sony fixed lens camera and clip on EVF though. I think the Sony looks like a great camera, but unless you have a lot of disposable income it's hard to see a cost benefit ratio vs. a FF DSLR even if it is smaller. For me, Fuji got it about right in terms of price, quality, and features with this type of camera.

I do think at $1500 they would have to open a new factory to keep up with demand. There are a lot of DLSR users who want a FF camera. After using a D700 for awhile I wouldn't hesitate to pay $1500 for a Nikon or Canon FF body. They have the lenses for it.

5. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    My only interest was as a digital back on 6 old Nikkor F lenses. At that price, I shan't buy it. The older lenses will happily wait 12 months until a FF interchangeable lens compact comes in for less money. In the meanwhile I will buy the Sony e mount 35mm f1.8, possibly a 50 as well. This will keep me going for most of my work.

6. pictor

pictor SC All-Pro

Jul 14, 2010
    This is the rumored Japanese price and Japanese prices are much higher than those in the USA or in Europe. Expect a price of about 2000$ in the USA.

By the way, there is no reason to assume that this consumer camera costs the same as the much more sophisticated pro D800.