Maybe the time for a PHONE-CAMERA has finally come ...!!

Discussion in 'Ask B&H Photo' started by MarcusGR, Oct 1, 2010.

1. MarcusGR

MarcusGR SC Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    In a few days Panasonic is expected to enter the camera-phones arena with something which should be more of a phone-camera rather than the "usual" camera-phone !!!
    I think it is (was?) high time for launching a full-fledged pocket-camera sporting a simple phone, rather than the other way round !!! It looks as something within easy reach of modern technology, which some not-so-obscure marketing agreement has been holding back ... Now it appears Panasonic might have done it again, marking the begininng of a new era for pocket-camera enthusiasts!
    Among sources telling about this oncoming "Lumix" phone, this one seems to have a little more: Panasonic Lumix Phone, 13 Megapixels, Touch Screen | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

• Like Like x 3
  2. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 8, 2010
    As long as it's not on the AT&T network...

BTW having a nice camera on the phone is useful, but with the iPhone the photography apps are what make it really interesting. I would wonder if the Panasonic phone/camera (phamera?) would have those too? Presumably it is based on one of the major mobile OSs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Agreed, Andrew, about it being on the AT&T network - this written, I must disclose, by a Verizon wireless customer.:wink:

Marcus, this will be interesting I'm sure!

Andrew, I've seen some fantastic shots via the iPhone...but of course I don't know how any would print out.

4. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
  5. Karen Cole

Karen Cole SC Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have the HTC Hero with a 5 megapixel phone. And it takes really good photo's, but what's the best thing about it is the android apps available to make it even better and more effective. From Vignette, Camera 360, Snap Photo Pro, Camera Magic, Camera Illusion and Retro Camera these apps and more add features and effects that make using a camera phone that much more fun.

I have my eye on the HTC Evo at 8mp, but that's not its selling point to me..it's the bigger footprint..makes texting that much easier. LOL!

6. Boyzo

Boyzo SC Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 14, 2010
    mmm Interesting (Another toy for me) now will there be a Red Dot version :wink: my chance for a Leica + phone ... with a Red Dot :dance4:

7. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    I won't buy it unless its running Android 2.2.

I hope Panny understands the can of worms its trying to open. I mean, my girlfriend works for a cell phone provider. The business of phones and service is downright cut throat right now.

8. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. intense

intense SC Regular

Sep 11, 2010
    That's good news. Several years ago I had Sony Ericsson W810i and I have to say it had an amazing camera. It was only 2 MP but I haven't seen better phone camera yet (including iPhone)

10. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
  11. Prototype

Prototype SC Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Illinois
    Brian
    Looks like the site was just updated: LUMIX Phone

[​IMG]

My guess is that this won't be coming to the States. Nokia has had amazing cameras on its phones for some time now and they have trouble selling here. I don't think this Lumix phone has enough to take on the large-screen Android phones that is the trend right now.

12. MarcusGR

MarcusGR SC Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    It looks interesting indeed. But Altek might have done better since 2009 !!

lumix phone.JPG

Personally, I couldn't care less of "Apps" and smartphones: small screens are a nuisance, and when PC performance is needed, a tablet PC is the minimum I want.
    This one doesn't want to be a smarthpone, though, but rather a REAL camera (one able to shoot fast and in every light condition) attached to a reasonable phone, so that you have them 'both' in your pocket 24/7, properly charged.
    Full specifications are not yet available. On the lens there is written F: 1:2.8/4.5 (see picture), but - strangely enough - sources say there only is DIGITAL zoom !! Moreover, it appears to lack one crucial item for a pocket camera: lens protection. A HUGE fault. Strangely enough, Panasonic engineers do incredibly well at everything except designing adequate lens protection (the ridiculous lens cap appalling LX3 and LX5 provides further proof).

P.S.: I have just "discovered" that Altek has been SELLING a VERY INTERESTING phone-camera since last year !! It's The Altek T8680 sporting a 3x optical zoom. Unfortunately, it's for sale in the Far East only, and I was not able to find any independent recension (nor sample images !!) anywhere in the network...!!

Attached Files:

13. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    The only way that it will be successful in my opinion is if it is a smartphone. I'm still on the fence with smartphones, since I've only been using one for about 6 months. If the idea however is to combine two devices, then I think it has to be a smartphone, or people won't bite. In reality, it needs to be lots of devices to compete: camera, mp3 player, video, phone, text..etc. We will have to see I suppose. It is a step in the right direction.