Meet the Fuji X-E1

Hmmm... This body with the new zoom and the fast 50. I was going to hold out for the Nikon D600, but maybe not.

What's Fuji's history for lag from announcement to availability? For instance, I'm assuming if Oly announces new Pens at Photokina, they'll be available in December. If Sony announces a new NEX lens at Photokina, it'll be available in 2016. What about Fuji?

Late adopter is the smart way to go. It does kind of stink to have Moore's law working now in digital photography. I guess lenses are the only safe refuge.

the koolest new thing is to be a late adopter so I'm just off to make some wet plate collodions

I had to look up collodion on wikipedia, where I learned it is a "a flammable, syrupy solution." Sounds awesome! :D

I'm also trying to cultivate a Landshark-stylee beard to stroke reflectively as I gaze into the upside-down image on my ground glass screen

One thing that has completely mystified me if how to keep the subjects entertained between composing one's shot through the ground glass to sticking in the wet plate and firing the shutter. My exposures would all show a prominent ummm... central ummm... digit.

One thing that has completely mystified me if how to keep the subjects entertained between composing one's shot through the ground glass to sticking in the wet plate and firing the shutter. My exposures would all show a prominent ummm... central ummm... digit.

I think the old timey guys used free-standing head clamps and such. Maybe they had a set of pointy set-screws for the extra fidgety! lol

I needed to look at this like I needed to hit myself on the head repeatedly with a ball peen hammer.......

Dogs, Fuji cameras, and Blue Note jazz recordings. I have zero self control when it comes to these three things. I do like Oreos a lot too.......

Let me make the obvious comment. I wonder what it will cost?

How much is the X-Pro1? Is it ~$1700? I couldn't imagine that they could strip that much out of it to put this camera closer to $1000 and still justify the price of the X-Pro1, particularly not if the important bits like the sensor and processor are identical.

my guess is $1,400....maybe $1,300. If it's less than that, the X-Pro1 may just wither on the vine.

But if rumors of a new more expensive X-Pro2 are real, maybe the X-Pro1 drops to $1,500 and the X-E1 can be $1,200 with the X100 becoming $1,000.

Too much speculation makes my head hurt. We'll know more in a few weeks.

my guess is $1,400....maybe $1,300. If it's less than that, the X-Pro1 may just wither on the vine.

But if rumors of a new more expensive X-Pro2 are real, maybe the X-Pro1 drops to $1,500 and the X-E1 can be $1,200 with the X100 becoming $1,000.

Too much speculation makes my head hurt. We'll know more in a few weeks.

I'd guess $1200 which assumes a lot. I keep hoping in 2 years they will release the X Pro 2 as a FF X Pro 1. I guess I just want another FF camera but don't want another DSLR and I'm not buying a Leica. Probably won't happen since they would have to come up with new lenses. For me APS-C is reasonable compromise for DOF control. I prefer FF but I am perfectly happy with APS-C if it means not lugging around a camera the size of a D700. Hopefully they won't actually release X-E1 until next year so I won't have to sell any body organs on the black market. I've been saving up for the 23 and 56 oh well.........

How quickly do Fuji products become available after announcement?

You would think I would know.... Actually I'm surprised Fuji hasn't just opened up a shop down the street from my house. Maybe I have some sort of self imposed subconscious wallet self preservation mental block going on. Or at least that's what I am hoping.

Back