Memorial stop on 9/11

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by davect01, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Stopped by our local Memorial site for 9/11

A6000 and 28-70mm FE
    _DSC5012.

_DSC5017.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Top Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    We have a piece of the Pentagon wall displayed in our observation gallery, as part of a traveling exhibit. I didn't even think to walk up there yesterday. I really didn't give 9-11 much more than a passing thought early in the morning. How quickly we go on with our lives.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. I often think this way as Pearl Harbor Day becomes less and less memorialized as the generation that experienced it has mostly passed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Yes, I felt that with Texas still recovering from Harvey, and Irma wrecking havoc it took thoughts away from the 9/11 remembrance. But I will never forget since my niece was in the World Trade Center that morning, but lucky to escape when so many other did not.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. I'll just add that 9/10/01 has a special place in our families life. That was the day my wife and I got engaged :)

And then the day after as we were still on a high the towers got attacked :-(

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Petach

Petach SC Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    I remember the day very well. It was on TV in our detective office in London. I saw the aftermath of hit 1 on BBC News alert. As I watched, the 2nd hit. The whole office crowded around the TV. Not a word was said, we were all in shock. Then we all saw the towers fall. I remember the journey home on the train. Silence, just silence.....trying to fathom out the enormity of it all. I had been there in May with my daughter. We were on the roof of one of the Towers and I remember thinking "It could so easily have been us there"

7. Unfortunately this was not the first, not will it be the last

8. Petach

Petach SC Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Prophetic ........witness todays bomb attack on the train in London today. Thankfully bomb failed partially and only caused burns from a fireball....rather than killing all from a full blown explosion!

• Sad Sad x 2
  9. It is scary sometimes

10. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Todd Beamer - the man who was on United 93, the 'plane that hit the Pentagon and who said "Let's roll" when the passengers stormed the cockpit - was an employee of Oracle Corp. I joined the company not long after.

When the 7/7 bus bombing occurred a couple of dozen of us were offsite at a sales kick-off. All our phones - set to silent, of course - went off within a couple of minutes of each other. None of us knew until then of a protocol enacted by Oracle after 9/11 to immediately locate all employees in the event of a terror attack - office based staff all had a list of mobile staff to call if there was an incident.

Sobering stuff...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1