Ming Thein's excellent photography blog

Ming Thein lost me when he said he calibrated his monitor accurately by eye and said that calibration hardware was unneccessary. Then, in almost every review, he put how he's judging files on a calibrated system.

Ummm. No.

But I still read his stuff. I just don't give it any more credibility than anyone elses just because the pictures are nice and the font on his site is attractive. He certainly is a decent photographer and I like his post processing. But he's in it for the money like most of the others. And that reflects in his "opinions".

Gordon

I guarantee you Michael Reichmann doesn't spend months of research and shooting to do a review. He typically has the camera for a short while, uses it to photograph on a trip, and publishes a "first impressions" type review. Since he is a talented photographer with good insight and familiarity with many cameras, his first impressions can be more helpful to read than some comprehensive reviews, at least to me.

I love to do that, too. It's not that difficult in my case, because I know and have all X series cameras at hand, anyway. Knowing the X-Pro1, X-E1, X100, X10, X-S1 and XF1 certainly helps if you want to find out what the X20 and X100S are all about. OTOH, I would not write an official review about an OM-D or NEX 6 before really using these cameras for quite some time. It would be below my personal quality standards. I have written thousands of articles, interviews and reviews for all kinds of publications, so I know it's not practical to work like this if you depend on making a living with your writing.

Back