1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ming Thein's review of Olympus OM-D E-M1

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by stratokaster, Sep 10, 2013.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    This is got to be the most serious compact of the year!
    And you just have to love Ming's water resistant testing photo!

9667151701_4f4cee075e_c.

As a fishing,hiking,kayaking sort of guy this ticks all the boxes for a compact, go with me everywhere, system camera.

Great one, Olympus!

3. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Just read Ming's review. That looks like a very promising camera indeed.

4. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I scan the Ming's review, he is happy with the af improvements. DPR preview says that it is not as fast as high end 43 dslr af w/ 43 lenses, so they recommend m43 lenses. The focus tracking is a good improvement:

5. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    It's a good evolution of the design and I like it. Not revolutionary but you can only have so many revolutions, lol.

6. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Robin's part I review is out also:

Robin Wong: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Review: Introduction and High ISO Shooting

I see in the comments that he is now working for Olympus... More on AF:

7. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Funny how FF is getting smaller and m4/3 is growing larger.

• Like Like x 2
  8. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Yep. The GH3 was a pig and the E-M1, unfortunately, is continuing this trend.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Interesting conflicting evaluations by DPR vs. Robin and Ming. For a pixel peeper like me, the RAWs at high ISO in DPR's new studio comparison tool appear to be slightly better in the EM5 than EM1.

10. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I think ergonomics is improving with the grip and the size when you use the bigger lenses. I like e-pl5 but it is too small anything other then small Olympus primes/Panasonic pancakes. I add a grip for em5 so it is similar size to em1. Ep5 didn't even have the grip option... So far best ergonomics is Sony nex 6/7 body form for me.

Here is the new 40-150mm f/2.8 lens that is coming at the end of 2014:
    Olympus M.Zuiko PRO 40-150mm f/2.8 Lens Roadmap

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    This is such an awesome picture. I don't think that I've tried to get my E-M5 quite THIS wet!

12. jnewell

jnewell SC Regular

Jun 25, 2011
    I would have said more or less equivalent, but considering that's pixel-peeping, call it the same. That left me thinking (with relief) that the real improvement with the EM-1 was the UI - which, when you think about it, is not shocking. I think that we have come to the point where IQ improvements are at best incremental and often purely marginal.

13. zensu

zensu SC Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    Montgomery, AL
    Bobby
    Dpreview has revised it's comments on AF with 43's lenses on the E-M1 vs. 43's lenses on the E-5. Seems they did their comparison based on memory of how the E-5 AF performance was. Now they say the E-M1 is equal to the E-5's AF performance! Geez, how many other comparisons have they made from memory in the last few years? Do ya think all those adds from Canikon may have affected their memory?

• Like Like x 1
  14. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    DP Review debacle

Yeah, a definite faux-pas, especially when their comment was at variance with all the other early reviewers. I see the M43 Olympus crowd remembering this one for a long time ...:tongue:

15. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    mft no longer pocketable. FF cameras get smaller and so do aps-c ones. MFT looses some of its competitive edge, at least as far as bodies are concerned. Time to get rid of the adjective "micro" or else compact cameras ought to be called "nano".

Reminds me of cars. The BMW 3 series grew every time a new version came out. It`s now as large as the previous 5 series. The same with the VW golf etc.

16. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Yeah, m43 lost me on expensive lenses and bodies and now bigger bodies.

17. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    We should be happy to have the current choices today compared to a few years ago. I used FF/APSC Canons and started mirrorless using Sigma DP1 in 2008... As LL said IQ improved to a very good level, so the choice can be made more on ergonomics and usability. I think the saving with m43/mirrorless comes with the lens sizes... I never carried my Canon 100-400mm on my travels, even Canon 70-300mm became heavy when you walk 10-12hrs a day... Yes, the new FF Sony mirrorless camera will be similar size to EM1 or Fuji Pro 1 which is same size as Leica M's:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#382,459,289,482,472,33,376,389,258,371,466,ha,f

I would prefer G7 size/shape to EM1, but the EM1 af improvement is very good to pass. I'm sure this will make it to cheaper Oly bodies and maybe even to Sony nex as Sony is removing the mirrors in the dslrs also... See updated dpreview EM1 af page:
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/7

Here is what Olympus is thinking w/ EM1:
    666-Olympus-OMD-E-M1-In-Water-P9100190_1378977226.

666-OMD00031_1378977457.

More on above set up:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m1-weather-sealed-test-22910