Sony Minimum Shutter Speed?

kwps1

Dear RX1 forum,

I recently received a RX1 and I am really liking it.

I plan on shooting it in Aperture priority with ISO set to Auto and letting the shutter speed go. Is there a way to have the shutter never drop below 125/th of a second? It will shoot a lot at 1/80th and sometimes I get motion blur from my hand.

Thanks,

Ken

Nope, there's no way to set a minimum shutter speed - it's one of the few gripes I have with the camera too. It seems to want to default to a minimum shutter speed of 1/80 of a second regardless. My Nikon and Fuji cameras have the ability to set minimum shutter speeds, in the Fuji up to 1/500 and in the Nikon up to 1/1000 (I think Nikon DSLRs go higher yet). But not so on any Sony.

You can use Luke's suggestion to shoot in manual and that's what I do a lot of the time, but it doesn't do the same job when there's either too much or too little light - it just sets the shutter speed period and if there's too much light for that shutter speed at the lowest ISO you have set, you have to be aware of that and adjust the shutter speed upwards, and if there's too little light at the highest ISO you have set, you also have to see that and reduce the shutter speed. A good auto-ISO setup that lets the user set a minimum shutter speed (which will be violated only if there's too little light at the highest allowed ISO), really let's the camera do this thinking for us.

-Ray

Just a note from Pedants Anonymous here, but motion blur is caused by movement of the subject when the shutter speed is not short enough to "freeze" it, while blur caused by movement of the camera is "camera shake" ...

[yes, that's right, I haven't got anything better to do this evening]

Just a note from Pedants Anonymous here, but motion blur is caused by movement of the subject when the shutter speed is not short enough to "freeze" it, while blur caused by movement of the camera is "camera shake" ...

[yes, that's right, I haven't got anything better to do this evening]

Wow, things ARE slow tonight, aren't they!?!? Except that hand, of course... :D

-Ray

Count me among those who wish we could set a minimum shutter speed in auto ISO . . . but we can't. So, I've developed a serviceable workaround: memory 1 (on the mode dial) is set to manual exposure, auto ISO, and 1/160 shutter speed (which is pretty much always a safe shutter speed for me with the RX1). Memory 2 is set to aperture priority with auto ISO. Mostly I work in memory 1, but when I venture into bright light, I switch to memory 2. While it may seem like I am duplicating modes available elsewhere on the mode dial, that is not entirely true, for this reason: M mode remembers the last shutter speed set in that mode -- which could be something other than 1/160 -- whereas memory 1 always returns to 1/160 when I rotate to that setting. And setting memory 2 to aperture priority allows my two most-used modes to be adjacent to each other on the mode dial.

But I wish I could set my auto ISO minimum shutter speed to 1/160 and be done with it, especially if, as I've read, the RX1 sensor is "ISO-less."

Count me among those who wish we could set a minimum shutter speed in auto ISO . . . but we can't. So, I've developed a serviceable workaround: memory 1 (on the mode dial) is set to manual exposure, auto ISO, and 1/160 shutter speed (which is pretty much always a safe shutter speed for me with the RX1). Memory 2 is set to aperture priority with auto ISO. Mostly I work in memory 1, but when I venture into bright light, I switch to memory 2. While it may seem like I am duplicating modes available elsewhere on the mode dial, that is not entirely true, for this reason: M mode remembers the last shutter speed set in that mode -- which could be something other than 1/160 -- whereas memory 1 always returns to 1/160 when I rotate to that setting. And setting memory 2 to aperture priority allows my two most-used modes to be adjacent to each other on the mode dial.

But I wish I could set my auto ISO minimum shutter speed to 1/160 and be done with it, especially if, as I've read, the RX1 sensor is "ISO-less."

Thant's a great idea! Thanks!

I always shoot my Rx1 in manual as I want full control of all settings, and I can quickly change aperature, shutter speed and iso as light conditions change, I have NEVER missed a shot due to having to change settings, the Rx1 is a extension of my hand...for me, it's always full manual control...

Back