Minox DCC-14 Image Thread.

Discussion in 'Other < 1" Sensor Cameras' started by dalethorn, Jul 17, 2015.

1. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Generally regarded as a toy camera, it's nonetheless a real camera, albeit fairly primitive with few controls and a sensor similar to an average cellphone. I liked the way the bushes in #1 popped out against the background, and while #2 is less focused in terms of composition, I thought the pre-sunset light on the foliage worked pretty well.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/600 handheld, ISO 200.
    Mtpleasant_Park15_s.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/125 handheld, ISO 200.
    Mtpleasant_Park14a_s.

• Like Like x 4
  2. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I got lucky with the clouds and all here...

image.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

And one of the local fishing gurus.. This could have been better for skin tone and texture, but was underexposed (can't control exposure with this camera).

image.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

The little camera does well with flowers...

image.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I didn't think I could do this with the Minox, but I finally realized that sunlit 'scapes were a no-go along with low-light photos, and so when the light is evenly distributed, the little camera can actually capture detail.

f2.8, 1/30 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    image.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I'm making progress at squeezing a better image quality out of this little camera....

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/15 handheld, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Downtown34_s.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

A rare event in downtown Charleston - tearing a house down instead of restoring it.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Downtown35_s.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

When I photographed this old stone church (now private residence) 5 years ago, there was a cannon on the roof, probably from the War Between the States ca. 1860-65. But the cannon has been removed, and I don't yet know why.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/50 handheld, ISO 200
    Charleston_Church_Sullivans_Island01_s.

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I thought this harbor view might be too difficult for the Minox, but it worked OK in spite of some purple fringing.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/1300, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Harbor17_s.

10. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston area - duty station for Edgar Allan Poe.

Summing up the Minox experience so far: The camera has a good coated lens inside, but the glass (UV filter?) in front of the lens is uncoated, which allows lots of flare. The sensor is probably similar to a cellphone sensor, and seems to produce images roughly equivalent to an iPhone 8 mp sensor (the Minox is 14 mp). The image format is JPEG only, but there is nothing like a modern JPEG engine in the Minox. I've found that I need good daylight, with no deep shadows or strong highlights - i.e. very evenly distributed light. In overcast light, the images show much more noise, even though the exposure values are essentially the same (f2.8, 1/xxx shutter speed, and ISO 200) as in sunlight or hazy sunlight. Direct sunlight is a no-go if there are deep shadows or bright highlights of significant size in the image.

All in all, highly recommended for practice in finding and using good light.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/320, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Fort_Moultrie01_s.

11. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

More Minox snaps - the second, of the hotel patio, had a peculiar blur around the edges, but not so much in the center. It's a scene I've tried with several 'real' cameras, and oddly the Minox made the first keeper.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/640 handheld, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Church_St_Philips02_s.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/6 sec. handheld/braced, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Hotel_Meeting_St_Inn01_s.

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Doorway to multi-million dollar house, Charleston SC.

Minox DCC14, f2.8, 1/10 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
    Charleston_Downtown36_s.