Minus four point 3

Discussion in 'Panasonic LX100 / D-LUX (109) Forum' started by Jock Elliott, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    LX100 Pickering Lane morning stars 005.JPG
    LX100, iA mode, pops off six shots in rapid succession and automatically stacks them. -4.3 degrees F. SOOC.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 2
  2. Les Klein

Les Klein SC Regular

Dec 10, 2015
    Can’t see anything! Just black.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I see around 40 stars (some may be dust on my monitor) and some trees being blown in the breeze.

4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I see unicorns.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Bartender, I'll have whatever Steve's having..... and make it a double!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    It's a black cat eating licorice in a coal bin during a total eclipse. Actually, I can see it just fine on my desktop monitor, but had to turn up the brightness on my laptop to see the stars and the trees.

Cheers, Jock

7. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Perfect score, Luke

8. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Make those frozen unicorns.

9. Susan Sande

Susan Sande SC Veteran

Aug 3, 2011
    Upper left USA
    The more you stare, the more that's there - I also see powerlines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Les Klein

Les Klein SC Regular

Dec 10, 2015
    Oh yes, I see hundreds of stars now. It’s nighttime, and when I turn off the room lights, after cleaning my screen, — there they are! And so are the trees and power lines. I wonder how this would compare to a 20 or 40 sec. exposure?

11. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Les,

I've done a little research about this, and a 20-40 second exposure would result in the stars beginning to appear as streaks, not dots, in the frame.

This post -- LX100 night shots -- shows the difference between the "stacking" mode on the LX100 and a 10-second time exposure. As nearly as I can figure, 13 seconds is right at the ragged edge of when the stars start to streak with a 24mm (e) lens.

For lots of very useful information about photographing the night sky, I recommend Lonely Speck

Here's a link to his quick guide to astrophotography: www.lonelyspeck.com/nightscapes-guide Very useful!

Cheers, Jock

12. Les Klein

Les Klein SC Regular

Dec 10, 2015
    Thanks for the Lonely Speck site information, Jock. I don’t have many chances to try astrophotography, living in suburbia with a limited sky view (but beautiful trees). I’m inspired though, so I might give it a try next night when a) there are no clouds, b) the temperature is above 0℃, c) the winds are not too high, and d) I’m awake. A total power blackout would be helpful, but not desirable. Or, perhaps, early morning with similar conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1