1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Modern language

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Ripleysbaby, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Now forgive me for being an old fuddy duddy, but please tell me I'm not alone in hating the term "My bad" I know language is constantly evolving . But into what ?
    There, I feel a little better now I've got that off my chest.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I hate the way it sounds. But I just did a little research into it and I kind of like its origins....... ""The first citation in print is C. Wielgus and A. Wolff’s, ’Back-in-your-face Guide to Pick-up Basketball’, 1986: ’My bad, an expression of contrition uttered after making a bad pass or missing an opponent.’"

but taking "street" talk and bringing it into popular vernacular always sounds a little awkward. I say "leave it on the court".

• Like Like x 2
  3. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Fo sho!

ehm... to be honest I don't mind the term, but then I started learning English in the late 90s / early 00's and I think it was already an established term by then...

• Like Like x 1
  4. NathanJ

NathanJ SC Regular

Sep 18, 2012
    As an expression of 'light' contrition, I personally think it is quite a handy expression. "My fault" seems a little harsh. "My bad" seems to work nicely when no real harm has been done, and the error in question can be easily passed off.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I agree. It's not quite good enough when you have run over someone's child or embezzled several million dollars . . .

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    My Dad used to be a language formalist - he hated any bastardization of the English language, which means he SHOULD have been speaking the Queen's own English from the 1500s or so. But, of course, he didn't. So, probably in rebellion I have only one standard for new uses of the language - does it communicate? If I know what the person is trying to say (or, more importantly, if whoever they're speaking to does), I figure it's all good. Speaking of which, "all good" is another expression sort of like "my bad" - they both work well enough for me...

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    :biggrin: Very well said, Jock!

Gary, just so you know - I don't care for that turn of the phrase either. :drama::wink:

8. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    It will become more widely used I'm sure, but not by me. New language will come along that aint too bad, and i may even use it ! Wouldn't that be wicked man . sum stuff will just be to rad for me to use. words that will be positively mingin. init like.
    On the other hand and luckily for me, most of it is ez to spell :confused:

• Like Like x 1