Monopod Walking Stick

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by ReD, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    On my little weekend Jaunt to West Wales I found I had need of a walking stick

So I thought I'd get a telescopic one - then thought of a Monopod to give dual use - but priority on the walking stick.

Just collected a Hama Alpen monopod seems to fit the bill but longer than I expected when fully retracted. Useful handle on this unlike the Manfroto

I see all sorts of uses for this pole such as poking it above hedges & into corner cupboards

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Looks like fantastic value for money!
    I paid a lot more for a Leki walking stick with camera thread. (on the plus side, the Leki has clamps rather than screw locking, which is something I really wanted)
    Maybe get yourself a small ball-head with quick-release plate and you'll have a great setup for hiking and walks :)

3. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I paid £12.00 from Tesco Direct free delivery - Ebay cheaper but then add postage

I'll see how I go before adding anything

4. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Any Potential problem with taking this on a plane ? Travelling to Europe (Spain) soon

I guess ok in a suitcase but as hand luggage? - Anyone know?

I've tried a search but only found walking poles restricted - this could be classified as a pole but I may be needing it to walk with

5. I like.

Only downside would be the screw on adapter. Would be better if it was a clamp on.

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    What a fabulous idea! I need a stick from time to time when the joints just quit being agreeable, and this would solve some issues for me. Hama Alpen, eh? *google*

and heres a review by someone who actually uses it
    http://www.long-exposure.com/blog/2010/10/30/gear-hama-alpenpod-walking-stick-with-monopod-review/

7. romi.gilles

romi.gilles SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    idk anymore. all over the country.
    romi gilles
    i've never been hassled about my tripod i carry in hand while traveling between airports. they do have tripods where one of the legs detaches and reconfigures into a monopod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/969866-REG

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

8. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant SC Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Guess?
    That's a great idea, but being so cheap I'd wonder about the build quality of it - maybe someone could give us a quick review on that?

I use a monopod mostly at the motor sport - when I can be bothered - but usually just hand hold. It's a monstrously thick and heavy Manfrotto thing which for the greater part lives in the boot of my car. For carrying around I have a lightweight Manfrotto tripod which I find quite useable but being lightweight it's not always as sturdy as I'd like. I had thought of getting a carbon fibre one but they cost mega £££s.

I'll take a closer l;ook at that Hama though, it's great a idea for an aging fella who could do with a walking stick on some walks

9. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I'll have to use it more before review

Briefly - better than hand hold but won't beat a proper tripod. Like most things you need to develop a technique especially for extra bracing
    So far Had some good & bad shots (as per normal) about 1/4 - 1/2 sec is about the lowest speed I think I'd use

Max height is about chest height. Shortest 660mm

Rec Retail is near £30 if that means anything these days

to be continued ..

10. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    I've had one of these for 2 or 3 years now and I use it mostly as a walking stick/pole (it is fully height adjustable). It has a standard "tripod" thread head which can be tilted to portrait if needed and as a bonus it has a compass protecting the screw head (useful only for approximations). I'm tall and well built, approaching 70 and I find the pole ideal for walking in the country, especially when slippery under foot, the monopod option is very useful at times. It collapsed down to 670mm so it is reasonably small for packing or attaching to a camera bag. I think it is great value for money.

i-hama-turystyczny-alpenpod-4103.

Available on Amazon but cheaper here.

http://www.7dayshop.com/hama-alpenp...=L2NhdGFsb2dzZWFyY2gvcmVzdWx0Lz9xPW1vbm9wb2Q=

• Like Like x 2
  11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, Malcolm... I think I might order one from somewhere, I don't usually take a tripod because I need my stick more, and handling both is beyond me.

12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    The link is wrong, romi.gilles...

13. romi.gilles

romi.gilles SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    idk anymore. all over the country.
    romi gilles
    nu7aga9u.
    hmm.. takes me right to the one i was trying to show.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Interesting. Here's the link as seen in my browser status bar
    Code:
    https://www.photographerslounge.org/http/BI/1848/KBID/2491
    And here's what I get if I click on it
    but if I right click on it, I also get an option to go to B&H. Weird. I wonder if its to do with the latest Chrome update.

[edit] Not Chrome, i also get the same thing in Safari, Firefox, and Opera. Dunno what to tell you. Its weird as...