Moon Shots

Discussion in 'Superzoom Salon' started by kyteflyer, Jul 27, 2015.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    If we are all superzooming, lets super zoom the moon!

Here's mine from a night or two ago.
    image.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Whoa! That is really nice! I think you definitely got your moneys worth with that camera.
    Well done.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    that's much better than mine, Sue. I've given up on shooting the moon...... thousands can do it better than I. This was my best attempt....with an Oly m43 cam and the 100-300 lens.....
    8112440110_1e679e9ac7_b. half moon by Luke, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Don't feel bad, Luke. I have never managed to get a decent shot with my DSLRs + 70-300 or 55-300. I've never had a decent shot with any of my other superzooms. I think the P610 is just good.

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I think so too, Jock. I'm very happy with it. Shots in dim light are just out, but anything else seems to be fine.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Impressive Sue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Anything past 500mm focal length atmospheric turbulence can be detected. A night with a steady atmosphere is really needed.

8. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

We really need to get the software the big telescope people use to remove that turbulence, and get it into the camera firmware. I wonder how long that will take.

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I wonder if Adobe's new Dehaze filter might work well here?

10. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

This is my first image with the new G3x. I don't have the settings figured out yet, so this was one of several single shots (no burst mode since I haven't gotten that far). Interestingly, all shots had equal sharpness or close enough that there wasn't an obvious difference between them at 100 percent view. This was JPEG only, and my photo editor is the 1998 edition of Paint Shop Pro, so there's very little magic here except for some gamma/curves applied along with some crude sharpening. Considering the number of steps I did in PP here, the noise is very good. And since I didn't have a solid support, I'd say the IS is extremely good.

Canon G3x at max. zoom, f5.6, 1/200 handheld/braced, ISO 200.
    Moon16_s.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    That looks pretty darn crisp to me.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  12. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    This is a great example of the fun you can have with a superzoom (a super cheap one in my case). My ten year old kept talking about seeing the blue moon tonight, so after a two minute rundown on how to shoot we set up the tripod and she got some shots. Nothing to brag about, but she was thrilled with the results. I just can't let her see Sue's shot (awesome!). Then she went crazy with the processing (she really wanted to see a blue moon).
    blumoon.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 5
  14. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs