More Big Camera

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by pdh, Jul 11, 2014.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    You are the master of "few words" :) Is this something of a Heath Robinson perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    From the looks of that one, Mark II perhaps, they're not as Heath Robinson as they used to be, goodness almost semi professional.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  4. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    judging by the bw image looks like somebody got their calculations right

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Yes, I bought a combination try-square to help with this one :biggrin:

In all truth I up-buggered the exposure calculation so it's been rescued in LR, but there wasn't much calculation involved in the actual construction, as I just started with the film holder and worked around that; plus of course I've built a couple similar before so I knew more or less what needed to be done. It would have been better if I had done some sums, or at least done a few properly, as half way through I had to cut 5mm off the rear box when it was already assembled and glued.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    No this really works, and with the right film and right subject it will produce images of quite astounding acuity and tonal range, far beyond the reach of digital sensors - except perhaps for the largest most expensive MF digital backs that Bob (Landshark) uses professionally.

7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Ha! ... now, if you want an example of the absurdity and irrelevance of making "Explore" on Flickr, you may be interested to know that this picture has entered Explore at #362 today

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/22065841@N05/14440473938/" title="10x8slidingbox by _loupe, on Flickr"> 14440473938_c7fe7c779f_t. "100" height="63" alt="10x8slidingbox"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    ... and then it fell back exhausted to #363 and was dropped :biggrin:

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Maybe if you had done an HDR tonemapping of your diptych, it could have climbed a bit higher :wink:

• Like Like x 1