more Olympus OM-D EM-5 images "leaked"

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by krugorg, Feb 2, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    More Olympus OM-D EM-5 images | Photo Rumors

Olympus-OM-D-EM-5.jpeg

Olympus-OM-D-EM-5-flash.jpeg

Olympus-OM-D-EM-5-back.jpeg

After all the hoopla, I am still pretty excited about this camera, mostly because the images make it look like the size will be similar to the E-P3, with just a peak in the middle for the EVF (no protrusion forward and back adding to depth). That size body with a built-in EVF, tilt-screen, IBIS and the latest m4/3 sensor sounds like a nice upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I had not previously heard about the flip screen except various mentions here, but that little grippy thing on the upper right corner of the LCD looks pretty much like similar grippy things on the EPL3 and, IIRC, the Nex 5. So it seems this is for sure which I'm very excited by. I may or may not buy this - don't know if another m43 body is in my immediate future, but the combination of a flip up screen and a built in evf (without a big hump or rearward extension) is pretty much everything I've wanted in an m43 cam. Sort of the best of the EPL3, the EP3, and the Nex 7 in one body. If the sensor buys another stop of low light performance, so much the better, although m43 still won't win many high ISO contests...

Cool stuff - great to see.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    It looks exciting indeed! But if there's no rearward extension, it means that we'd be mashing our face even more into the LCD to access the EVF. Better get a really good LCD cover to minimize the grease smear! Or maybe just close the flip screen, if possible. Personally, I'd rather have the EVF to the side.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I've suddenly become very interested. I don't think I had registered that the OM-D would be small. Remembering the film OMs I figured it was going to be big like the E-5, so I never did any research or reading about it

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Ooo, flip screen and built in EVF - good for Olympus!

6. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    The only actual measurement I have seen, and of course this was a rumor, was for the width, which was the same as the E-P3. When I look at the images, it seems like the depth could be roughly the same... even the tilt LCD looks a bit more recessed than the E-PL3. Oh well, we shall know more in a week! :biggrin:

Okay... I think you are right Armando. Looking at the pictures again, especially the flash closeup, and the mockup on photorumors site, it does look like it there will be a bit of EVF extension on the back, at least protruding over the LCD a bit. How much clearence would you need with a top center EVF like that? Could it tilt up a bit, so your cheek wouldn't be flush against the screen?

7. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    From the pictures it looks to me like the EVF might extend when in use. That would bring it away from the LCD.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    This seems like it will be a pretty nice camera. I wish m4/3 cams had did high ISO as well as the Fuji and the NEXs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Perhaps we need a visit to the GAS-aholics thread. :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I've been looking at the micro 4/3 for a while, this might be the camera that make me jump in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    That would be super cool! I think I can see that on the hotshoe/evf image.... or maybe I am staring at the picture too long, kind of like one of those hidden image posters? I better head over to Dan's GASaholics thread....

12. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Imagine if the built-in EVF was tilt-able like the add-on EVF's!! That would take it up another notch!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I think it is....I think it tilts and/or extends, but only time (or more intentional leaks) will tell.

• Like Like x 2
  14. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    how cool would that be?!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Cool - though with a tilting screen, it seems like overkill. Would make for a very versatile camera.

16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The viewfinder area does look quite messy so it may be extendable to reduce nose-smooshing. The whole camera is starting to look smaller than I had expected. I wonder if there is a buiilt-in flash at all on the left side of the top plate. The hump is looking like a flash-free zone.

17. Boyzo

Boyzo SC Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 14, 2010
    FWIW from these images it looks delicious some serious Industrial design with a touch retro ... so much cooler than the Plastic fantastic GH2 with speckled finish lol
    One unknown is will it support PDAF if so its a winner even if the body has the latest 16MP 43 sensor G3 or better still the HG2 sensor

For A3 prints 16MP quite adequate :)

18. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Check this out. Handsome. Shown with the 12-50mm lens. Camera weather-sealed too? Built-in EVF - hopefully updated. Could be interesting!

19. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Magazine Advert Photo of OMD EM-5

Call me a fanboy, but I reckon it looks good - like a real camera ( hint Sony, Pentax ...) and it's WR for real world use - finally!
    But still reckon that the original OM-x look the best :dance3:

Olympus-OMD.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Naveed Akhtar

Naveed Akhtar SC Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    London, UK
    Well grease is good for the screen, I guess.. its like a constant polish! :wink:

• Like Like x 1