News more Olympus OM-D EM-5 images "leaked"

I hope the hump won't be too high.

Me too, but I'm less concerned about the height than the rear extension - the height will be far less than a VF2 or VF3. And on the GH2 and G3 that I've shot with, it was the way it extended back over the LCD that really sort of bothered me and felt like it was in the way. Of course, the way the camera interacts with it also matters. I actually prefer an on/off button like on the G3 than an automatic sensor like the one on the GH2. Particularly on a camera with a flip up screen. When I tried using the GH2 down by my waist, the proximity of the camera would often tell the EVF my face was nearby and it would kill the LCD, moving the image to the EVF. There's a three way switch, but I'm just dumb enough to get confused as to which setting the three way switch is on. A binary switch so the LCD is either on or off and the EVF is either on or off, is much better for the way I shoot, since I don't move back and forth between the two very much - I'm either using one or the other and would rather decide for myself rather than have to outguess the camera. Mind you, I'm not complaining this a flaw in the camera - its a flaw in ME - but one method makes it a lot easier for me to overcome it! It looks like there's a sensor near the EVF, so that's something I'd have to learn to deal with. Its not a problem on the X100 BTW, because there's no flip screen to confuse matters, but there is one on the new Oly it appears, so I'm destined for confusion again perhaps...

-Ray

Imagine if Olympus were to introduce a small, weathersealed, 25mm f/1.8 in a kit with this camera. I think they could sell a ton of them.

Armando beat me to it!
Nope! Need a 17/1.8 first!!

Be happy enough to 'persevere' with my PL25/1.4 (again, in the absence of the rattlesnake) and prefer Olympus concentrate on two things -
1. working their compatibility issues with Panasonic, and
2. getting their 35mm eq. right. (And as Armando says a sub f2 would be just right).

What I'd love to see is Olympus take a note of the success of their 12/2 and have the rest of their "PRO" lenses with the shotgun-pop AF/MF mechanism. Love the idea of a 17/1.8 with zone focussing capabilities!

Also note that there is no talk of a silver OMD. THis being the case I look forward to Olympus releasing versions of their 12/2 and 45/1.8 in black! (y)

Ray, I had the exact same issue with the eye sensor on the GH1, but on that camera anyway you can disable the sensor through the menus.

To he honest, I really like the idea of a removable EVF like on the Pens, but the issue is that it takes up the hotshoe. I would love it if there were a camera like the E-M5 with modules that were either just a plain hotshoe, an EVF with a hotshoe, or a discreet pop-up flash.

Thankfully the viewfinder on this camera does look a lot smaller than the monstrosity on the G/GH Panasonics.

not true....I have seen talk of "a silver one". That has me more than a little breathless.
:doh: I confess to being a bit of a stealthy black fan personally - so was very much hoping that this meant Oly was moving more into the black - esp. with their lens (as I still think the silver 12 and 45mm are going to look a little funny on the black body).

I must say the more I look at this mock-up, the more it presses all the right buttons for me. :blush:

Yes Amin, I agree, it looks like a very skillful merger of all the leaks out there. Though I think the idea of having "OM-D" and "E-M5" on the camera body is confusing :confused: and marketing overkill, but then all the PEN cameras are getting that treatment.

Looking forward to the 8th!

Yes Amin, I think that this is phoney...why?.....the mu4/3rds concept was to emulate the Pen series of cameras of film days....this is a DSLR but perhaps it is smaller and it could represent the forerunner of the end of the E series of cameras.....any further thoughts?

the hump sticking out high above the viewfinder is what bugs me the most, although it might house a flash which would be useful... other than that, looks pretty good, at least without the battery grip!

Yes Amin, I think that this is phoney...why?.....the mu4/3rds concept was to emulate the Pen series of cameras of film days....this is a DSLR but perhaps it is smaller and it could represent the forerunner of the end of the E series of cameras.....any further thoughts?
Excellent observation Bill. Excellent indeed!!! Which then begs the questions as to whether it will definitely be a micro 4/3rds mount rather than a straight 4/3rds?

Alleged picture of someone holding up the camera. The size looks more reasonable in this pic.

Well whoever took the photo needs the OMD even more than me. That lens/sensor combo is mighty unsharp in the centre!!! That lens looks mighty big, maybe it is 4/3 mount after all? Man, Gordon, has me scratching my head now!...didn't even think that this might be the E5 replacement :blush:

Beg to differ

1. I don't believe that it is true that "the mu4/3rds concept was to emulate the Pen series" . Panasonic produced the first M4/3 camera - the G1 - and about half of their M4/3 cameras have followed suit with a DSLR-like hump - and have sold well apparently.

Olympus have so far labelled their models as PEN, but this new one is vigorously being promoted as "OM" - which was obviously an SLR series.
The model name "E-M5" seems to try to connect the 4/3 "E"-series to the new "M"4/3 line. So in a sense maybe it is the E-5 reincarnated in M4/3 form factor.

2. However in the M43 version this can not be a DSLR - so I'd reckon they are using the "OM" label to differentiate this line as having a DSLR-like internal VF, and hence the hump, and the PEN models will contine without internal VF to retain the RF form.
So far all the dimensions mentioned and the pictures show this OM-D has an E-P3 sized body, so it is extremely unlikely to be an original 4/3 format DSLR - but the styling cues are totally reminiscent of the film SLR even down to the faux mirror box!

Not too long to wait now to see what next upset to market Olympus will unleash!:D

Back