Motocross with the RX1R

Discussion in 'Sony RX1 Forum' started by raconteur, Aug 26, 2013.

1. raconteur

raconteur SC Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    S.E. Wisconsin
    A few weeks ago I shot some motocross races and took the RX1R along for some wide angle shots of the starting line, individual bike shots off the track. . .. I use a D4 for everything else. I was taking a break while the little guys were on the track and on a whim panned with a rider as he went past. Now the shot is nothing I would show to a rider but it isn't too bad for a "non-action" camera.

The camera was set to f5.6 and 1/200th. Normally I would have use a slower shutter speed; around 125th and shot wide open at f2.8 with a lens with a lot more reach, so the effect is not what I look for.

Any way; like I said not bad for a diminutive camera with no viewfinder. The image is cropped to about 20 percent of the original. It's close to sharp but not RX1R sharp. It does give me a bit of a queasy feeling the way the background is blurred but the more you zoom in the better. I did catch a coup,e of bikes mid-air and will post when I have time.

image.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Nothing to complain about there - I'm sure your skill level added to the success.

3. raconteur

raconteur SC Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    S.E. Wisconsin
    Thanks Bill. For me, personally, the fact the RX1 worked this well is amazing.