MP3 is no longer supported??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by wt21, May 15, 2017.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Developers of the MP3 Have Officially Killed It

I'm confused on this. Some folks are saying "MP3 is dead" others saying the patent expired?? and it's gone open source.

Trying to figure out if I need to re-encode (or rebuy) all my MP3s. Will this happen to jpg some day?

Should I just go back to printing all my photos and buying only vinyl?

and in related, here's the audio lost in MP3 compression. Ouch.

I asked about Bluetooth streaming in an earlier thread. MP3 streamed via bluetooth -- is there anything left? (or maybe MP3 is compressed enough that nothing is lost in BT streaming?)

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    You'll be able to listen to mp3 files for the rest of your life should you so choose. It's kind of like how you can still buy new parts for a Model T, despite the fact that Ford stopped support of them decades ago.

If there's enough of something in existence, there will always be support for it.

I can still order new phonograph needles for old 50s console hi-fi's.

Someone will always make some sort of interface for you to play mp3 files....even if one day they seem as obsolete as typewriters (I haven't looked, but I'm sure you can still buy ink ribbons for long-extinct typewriters).

Viva technology advancements....viva obsolete format support !

3. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I think the source of the confusion is the Fraunhofer Institute of Germany, who were one of the main driving forces behind the development of the MP3 format and who benefitted from the various MP3 patents which have all now expired. It suits the FI for people to think that MP3 has been "killed" and that we should all move to the AAC format instead as the FI still has patents on AAC. Patent expiry could theoretically make MP3 even more of a standard since it is now free worldwide, but it has been overtaken in technology by AAC and others so it may die a slow and natural death anyway without help from the FI.

-R

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I love music but I have cloth ears so most "improvements" are wasted on me. I'm sitting in my office now, just looking at my Granddad's Bush radio from the 1920s. Valves and rosewood, and it still produces a deep, rich sound (after five minutes of warming up). Are "advancements" in technology always better...?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    MP3 was never intended to represent an improvement in sound quality. In fact MP3 is a step backwards from CD in terms of audio quality as its compression algorithm is based upon the irrevocable loss of some of the original data - about 90% of it in fact. This is extremely helpful in terms of storage requirements and file transfer rates, and the compromise to audio quality is a price worth paying for the enjoyment of music on the move, but otherwise lossy compression is bad news for the listening experience.

-R

6. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    I bet it's hard to run with that baby. :D I have enjoyed MP3 as a portable medium. I also wonder how much more I would appreciate as my ears get older.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. lenshacker

lenshacker SC Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Once all of the patents have expired, the standards will be published and open source code written to use it.

"Not a Problem"

8. It happened to GIF years ago. Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Facebook still support making and viewing GIF files. They will continue to support MP3, along with everyone else.

The headline should read, "Former patent holder of MP3 wants people to continue to send them money." That's what happens if people switch to AAC. The company that sent out the press release will continue to make money if people switch from MP3. The websites that read, believed, and published the deliberately misleading press release were taken in.

JPEG is a little different. It was created by a standards committee. One goal of the committee was to make a standard image format that did not require paying license fees.

Joint Photographic Experts Group - Wikipedia

As best I can tell, the patents expired in 2006. Various groups have claimed that they own the licensing rights to JPEG, but none have ben successful at capturing the rights yet.

JPEG - Wikipedia

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. lenshacker

lenshacker SC Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    You have baseline JPEG and some 28 versions of JPEG, including some versions that used 12-bits per element- but it has been a VERY long time since I read the standard. Most were proprietary, required a fee. That's one reason we were stuck with 8-bits/pixel long after cameras exceeded that limit some 23 years ago (DCS400 series, 12 bits/pixel).

DNG is nice, the standard is published. Wrote my own software in FORTRAN to process little-endian DNG images. I have not used Big-Endian since the 1990s.

10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds SC Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy
    Hmmm.... seems somebody forgot to tell my iPod, car stereo and home theatre system... :rofl:

11. Covey22

Covey22 SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 3, 2012
    The fact that I can carry hundreds of albums in a container no bigger than a pack of slim cigars is good enough for me. Discerning Photographer I may be, but Audiophile I am not. :)

12. Vannessa

Vannessa New to SC

Jul 7, 2017
    The new age begins,but i like mp3,It is a happy memory for me!