1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mr Tambourine Man

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Briar, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    In November my brother died suddenly. It came a great shock to us, he looked fine, but he had a heart condition we didn't know about, and nor did he. He had a moment's warning that something was wrong and then he was gone.

He was a keen photographer and would have signed up to Amin's Fuji forum straight away as he had the X10, the X100 and his eyes were set on the XPro1 as his next purchase. His girlfriend gave me his X10 earlier this year as a keepsake.

It would have been my brother's birthday in February so as a tribute I shot 45 pictures, one for each year of his life. My brother was not a Bob Dylan fan to my knowledge, but his daughter, when she was a child, sang the song to him in full and she remembered he was so proud because she knew all the words. The song was played at his funeral so I used the words as my inspiration.

You can see the pictures here: February 2013 - a set on Flickr

Not all my pictures are in focus, but it seemed fitting to me to include them anyway.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Sorry to hear about your loss, Karen. They are a wonderful set of images and a fitting tribute, I'm sure. That little Fuji will be a camera to treasure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Very evocative images. I too am sorry about you brother.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Karen, I'm so sorry about your brother - that is way too young. But I guess we never know what's coming. A sobering reminder never to waste a day.

Your photo tribute is very moving. I'd been following these images right along on Flickr without knowing the story behind them. Now that I do, I'll go back through them as a full set.

All of my sympathy,

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    My condolences Karen. The loss of one who is a brother, father, photographer, is terribly tough. The camera must provide you with some solace, holding the camera your brother held, seeing images the way your brother would see them, the ability to capture the images your brother would have captured.

I hope you continue this tribute to and of your brother.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

jloden SC Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Jay
    Condolences on the loss of your brother. You put together a fitting tribute, and thank you for sharing with us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Loss. I understand it only too well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Regret. That's worse than loss. I hope there is none.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Beautifully stark set of images, Karen. I'm sorry for your loss...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Phoenix

Phoenix SC Top Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'm sorry for your loss, my deepest condolences. Thank you very much for sharing your tribute to him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I played the song in the background while I watched your images as a slide show.

Hauntingly beautiful images Karen. I'm very sorry for your loss.

[video=youtube;KE_hDWMftgc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE_hDWMftgc[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  13. spinyman

spinyman SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Valley Center,Ca.
    David
    Karen,
    Thank you for doing this very powerful series in tribute to your late brother.You've found a way to express your loss that is moving and universal.I'm going to view it again as Boid has done,with This song that has new meaning playing as well.May your memories sustain you in your time of sorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    What a wonderful tribute to your brother, the images are beautiful. I am sorry that he passed away so young. I'm sure we would have enjoyed his presence here on SC.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 SC Top Veteran

Jul 21, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ed
    Karen, my condolences on your brother's unexpected passing last November. Thank you for sharing such moving images- a great tribute to your brother.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Amazing photography! Such an inspired tribute to your brother.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ricks

ricks SC Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Great series to commemorate such a sad event. As I looked through them Bob Dylan's title Desolation Row kept jumping up. The words are not as fitting, but Chris Smithers version seems to have some of the feeling. [video=youtube;07QS1ChrPD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07QS1ChrPD0[/video] Thank you for sharing them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vidar

Vidar SC Veteran

Oct 25, 2010
    Bergen, Norway
    Vidar
    Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Thank you all for your kind words. Much appreciated.