mu-43 site is getting a bit ... crowded???

I like both sites. Both are different with their own vibe. Honestly, it's nowhere near DPreview. I post on other sites and I find mirrorless shooters in general a bit more open to new things, compared to DSLR shooters.

There's also alot of hostility on the micro four thirds forum at dpreview, and it wouldn't suprise me if people migrated elsewhere. Mu-43.com, without a doubt, is still the best place for everything micro four thirds related. Of course I'm not biased ;)

It does feel a bit like DPReview. I was inactive there for a rather long time because of personal problems, moving to the US etc. And when I started posting again, I was unpleasantly surprised with harsh (and, in my opinion, unjustified) remarks from some junior members. It was... unexpected.

Pavel, you are here in the US now? Welcome aboard!! Hope the problems are past you.

I wouldn't get too upset with mu-43. One can simply ignore the posts one finds annoying or offensive. One can also quietly report consistently problematic posters to the moderators. Also, if one becomes tired of the same type of newbie questions, one can spend more time on other forums within the site for a while. I suspect things will shake out just fine with time. Amin's sites are still far better than most.

Thank you Armanius! Yes, although only temporarily — my wife is a graduate student at the University of Maryland and we will live here until she completes her PhD thesis.

Welcome!! Hope you are enjoying MD! So much to see and photograph around that area. Maybe y'all can score a job over here.

I was disappointed to see unnecessary escalation, hostility, and cussing in a recent thread.

IMO it's impossible to have a site which is active and open to the public for registration and remains completely free of that type of ugliness. Fortunately such threads are few and far between over there, and the mods (IMO) do a great job of dealing with them when they arise.

I have noticed more new folks at mu43, but that's the system spreading (hopefully). I choose the threads I look at carefully and have come to appreciate the power of ignoring posts. I especially try to check out as many image threads as possible because they contain most of the ideas that are worth stealing. :):)

I have noticed more new folks at mu43, but that's the system spreading (hopefully). ...

I think you are right, and I think it leads to the semi-proliferation of "I have an E-M5 and 12-50, what lens should I buy next?" threads. I'm not sure how that question can be asked so open-ended over and over again. Maybe some forum software can be developed that automatically prompts the poster to list what they like to shoot and what they are missing with current gear.

That is a brilliant idea. Like a forum manual. Pretty much like the forum rules but a different one with lenses UV and cpl filters accessories and one with link to reviewers and image threads.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I think you are right, and I think it leads to the semi-proliferation of "I have an E-M5 and 12-50, what lens should I buy next?" threads. I'm not sure how that question can be asked so open-ended over and over again. Maybe some forum software can be developed that automatically prompts the poster to list what they like to shoot and what they are missing with current gear.

Yes, I think this is what I was getting at. I did NOT intend to say mu-43 is a bad site. If I was an m43 newbie, it's the best site to jump on, bar none. I use the top page, right-hand column approach to see new posts. Maybe I just need to bookmark a couple of different forum, and better ignore the real basic posts.

To Chrisnmn's point -- I have seen some help desk sites, where as you start to type the title of your post it pre-fills "would any of these threads help" kind of response, but I'm sure that's a pretty sophisticated piece of web design, and worth pursuing mainly in liu of investing in tech support folks, as opposed to running a simply photo forum.

I'm still mainly an m43 shooter, though I've dabbled with the Fuji system and have an RX100 and 6D. But I'm feeling overwhelmed at the mu-43 site. It's feeling a bit ... crowded???

There's nothing wrong with the site, just crowded. Some of my favorite posters are mostly trying other systems, and there are a lot of newbies wrestling with the questions that were asked 2 or 3 years ago.

I think that it is probably quite normal that you reach a point of diminishing returns on a forum. I could say that I am running out of fresh things to learn about the m4/3 format, have already spent plenty of time answering questions about it, and am well aware of what it can produce. I find myself skipping over a lot more forum threads these days, although not just on mu-43. For someone else newer and fresher to the site the current content might be exactly what they are looking for.

Back