Muriwai

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Chrisnmn, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Hey guy its been a while since I posted a set of images, so I decided to post from a little spot I love going here in Auckland, Muriwai.

When I need to escape the daily routine, this is probably my favorite spot to do so. I've been there many times, yet have not really taken pictures of it, until recently. Don't know why. This is what I consider, my own slice of paradise.

_CLP0471.

_DSC4780.

_CLP0409.

_CLP0449.

_CLP0435.

_CLP0454.

_DSC4764.

for the gear heads, all photos with a Sony A7 + 35 'lux and a Olympus EM10 + O75mm

• Like Like x 13
  2. NathanCom

NathanCom SC Regular

May 15, 2014
    Great shots, I love the ones of nesting birds in particular

• Like Like x 1
  3. PJacobs

PJacobs SC Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Paul
    Wow nice I like them all except the second. And they really express a personal-paradise-thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lovely

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    and just to show different we all are, the second is by far my favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Thank you so much guys. Im glad you liked it. this is a place I really love and the photos barely make justice to its beautiful nature.

• Like Like x 1
  7. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Some great shots. My favourites are 2 and 3 though I find the contrast a bit too much for my taste. I'd be interested in seeing how they look with less contrast and more grey tones if you're in the mood for tweaking.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Very nice as usual Chris. The next to last is the real knockout shot for me, head and shoulders above the others (although not depicting your slice of paradise as well I guess). I also like the last a lot and enjoyed the whole set, but that one really has something going on with the composition, patterns, and subject matter all working together really well. A couple I'd have probably used a touch less contrast, but I overall really like your processing style...

-Ray

9. jloden

jloden SC Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Jay
    The two shots with the nesting seagulls and one lone bird flying against the pool of shadow - :thumbup: :clap2:

Especially like shot #2 ... I think that one would look great in a decent sized print!

• Like Like x 1
  10. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    This one....:smile:

11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Bugger, I was going to have a better look and comment on these when I got to my work computer instead of on my phone but apparently my security settings don't agree with your image hosting location.

12. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    All quite beautiful bur my fav is the nesting birds - suggests an Escher woodcut to me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PJacobs

PJacobs SC Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Paul
    But... it seems like I'm extra different in this case: :tongue:

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Thats weird Nic, they are only hosted on dropbox. nothing fancy.

15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Thank you guys for all the comments. :drinks:

_CLP0473.

I guess part of the high contrast happens of two things. one and the main thing is that NZ and Australia have very, very harsh light. Skies are very clear and unpolluted, plus ozone layer is dangerously thin in this part of the planet, which as a result the light is very harsh, even for these, that were shot at 5pm which is supposed to be "golden hour".

_DSC4794.

The other reason is that at the same time I like very graphic images and strong contrast images. I dont really care about having details in the blacks. I like deep blacks. nothing against detail, at all, but I like to keep images simple, and strong. Theres no special setting in these, just my own bw setting I use for all my photography.

_CLP0407.