1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My 1st images from the Fuji F550 EXR

Discussion in 'Fuji Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Ok I have taken a few test shots and although it's not a patch on the G series Panasonics it's still a pretty good camera. It's easy to use, menu's are simple and the images are of a good quality. This camera I got from work as i look after the fuji section in the store.

These images are the only ones interesting enough for show. Both processed in Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro.

1:

Fuji F550 Test shot. by andywest1, on Flickr

2:

3:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    I really like those.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mmacleodbrown

mmacleodbrown SC Regular

Oct 10, 2010
    London
    I love the first 2, very nice detail and the FX are a nice touch.

4. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    I love the two Monochromes, EXR cameras do B&W very well.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Andy, I worry about you. You work in such a dangerous place.
    The photos from all the cameras are nice....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Andy, I could not work there, i would spend all my cash on cameras.
    Like I do on phones ;)
    But you inspire me to get my F200EXR out again.

7. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I Do!!!:doh::laugh1:

8. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    We just picked up a Fuji F550 sorta' as a family "point n' shoot" camera. Got a good price. Apparently no one was buying the GPS version and we got it on Amazon for less than the F500. An interesting little camera that, at least so far, appears to be pretty capable however not very forgiving in the exposure and focus areas. EXR mode is somewhat strange when it tries to out think you. Still, pretty nice for the money. Tain't an X100 but doesn't pretend to be either. :wink:
    ISO 200 f4.7 1/80, RAW, shot in "P" mode. Processed in LR.

. . . Burkey

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Getting the f550 cheaper than the f500 is a great deal. I have been playing with mine today and to be fair it's not a bad little camera. As you say the focus and exposure are not very forgiving but the end results are OK. The EXR feature is set manually within the menu and i can't see much difference between any of the settings! The 'HR' resolution priority does seem to give slightly better image quality/detail/sharpness but not much. It's still miles behind the XZ-1 and G3 but at least mine was free! OK it's not mine but it belongs to the camera shop where i work!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I have found it OK for throwing in the bag, its lightweight and has been good, but after using the GRD3 and X100 though, I am now finding it lacking in many ways. Perhaps just a future rationalisation for buying something else.

A couple from the weekend, the local council want to have removed some beautiful old Moreton Bay Figs which are a feature of a certain area of town, and which council now claim are unsafe. Of course, it wouldnt have a lot to do with the fact that some councillors want to get rid of a park in the same area and put a parking station in, instead. (NOT) so there have been lots of rallies, and on Saturday, something called the Big Fig Gig. The crowd was quite small, sadly, I think the town has become complacent.

1) An impassioned plea
    [​IMG]

2) Watchers
    [​IMG]

3) What they want to get rid of
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Nice images, Sue. Thanks for posting them. It's a real "throw in the bag" camera. Sorta' why we grabbed it.
    . . . David

• Like Like x 2
  12. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Still working with the 550 and have discovered that JPEGS through EXR are actually better at high ISOs than I think I could PP in LR. This shot was from this morning. No Tele this time, just a very fun moment with a Ukulele. From a JPEG, ISO 800 in EXR, set to B+W in the camera, mild correction and a bit of toning in LR.

. . . David

• Like Like x 2
  13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    They do come out well, David. I'm finding more uses for mine than I really expected. I'm starting to reach for the 550 more and more because I have decided I *like* having zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Hi Sue,
    Yes, I'm finding it's actually a pretty neat little imaging device too. I just need to be careful in PP. It's very easy to over process images that have been seriously tweaked in the camera.
    . . . David

15. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    I just took my HS20EXR, which uses the very same sensor and offers very similar features, out on a two week tour through several southern US states and arrived back home in Germany today. If there's any interest, I could file an extensive report with plenty of examples in the travel image section. All in all, I was quite pleased with the performance of the camera. I use my all my EXR cameras with M resolution (so they sensor can work its "magic") and I found that best results with the HS20 will be achieved be setting noise reduction to "low".

• Like Like x 1
  16. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Hi Flysurfer,
    We'd love to see the images. By the way, "M resolution" - can you explain? Thanks.
    . . . David

17. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    There's something about the "550" that keeps drawing me back. In EXR and B+W mode. LR and Topaz B+W for toning.

. . . David

• Like Like x 1