My EM-1 - 12-40 2.8

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by tdekany, Feb 7, 2014.

1. tdekany

tdekany SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Portland OR
    We went for an hour walk in our neighborhood this afternoon and took over 60 pictures. Camera worked fine, the lens needed a firm twist a couple of times though to break the ice.

12374777395_8bde4874e4_b.
    photo (34) by savingspaces33, on Flickr

• Like Like x 12
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Surely using a shovel to clear your driveway would have been cheaper than a camera? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. tdekany

tdekany SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Portland OR
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Wasn't that bad, in fact it looks pretty good natural.

_2070005.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

PS: I have to say, looking at your recent Flickr uploads, "as always" your skills both behind the viewfinder and the computer are awesome!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. zensu

zensu SC Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    Montgomery, AL
    Bobby
    How does the camera and lens handle wearing gloves?

5. tdekany

tdekany SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Portland OR
    Sorry I wouldn't know. I kept one hand in my coat pocket, the other was supporting my wife. I rarely wear gloves.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I've been doing my share of bad weather shooting with the same EM1 / 12-40 combination recently and I can say it handles surprisingly well with gloves. The two main control dials on top are located and configured in such a way that I didn't have any problem turning them with gloves on, and the shutter button works well enough. I suppose some of the buttons on the back might be a little fiddly with heavy enough gloves, but I wasn't going to those much shooting in the snow and ice. The on/off switch is very easy to get at with gloves too.

I've never thought a weather sealed camera would be much of an issue for me, because I tend to be a fair weather shooter, but I've been out with this combination 3-4 times in conditions I'd NEVER have taken anything else out in (maybe the EM5 and 12-50 when I had 'em, but I just never did) and I have to say I'm really glad to have it available. It's such a great lens that you don't feel like you're giving anything up for the weather sealing and it just seems to handle anything you throw at it. Although extreme cold will take a HUGE bite out of battery life. I burned through an EM1 battery on a relatively short walk (maybe 45 minutes to an hour) in low single digit temperatures a few weeks ago.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Wow, impressive! I took mine out yesterday because we ARE FINALLY getting some real rain in California. Just had to get out and take forest pictures. EM1/12-40 worked like a charm and pictures are great.

My friends in Oregon have talked about all the snow.

8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Thank you, Thomas.

Is that you house? Looks beautiful, especially in all the snow.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tdekany

tdekany SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Portland OR
    Thank you Nic.