My First Attempt at Capturing Bokeh !!!!

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Jason Patterson, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Jason Patterson

Jason Patterson SC Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/59233050@N05/5477296885/" title="DSC00145 by WhosNEX3, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="333" alt="DSC00145" /></a>

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    I hope ya catch that sucker. Bokeh causes me much grief ya know. I think ya got it tho'.......

• Like Like x 1
  3. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    what ever happened to the term depth of field...shallow depth of field....?

but you got it Jason....

• Like Like x 1
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Not so trendy? It's a word we type often but it would be interesting to get our phonetic pronunciations.

From Wikipedia: ^ There is no standardized English pronunciation. The Japanese pronunciation may be approximated as /ˌboʊˈkɛ/ boh-keh or /ˌbɒˈkɛ/ bok-eh, but it is commonly anglicized as /ˈboʊkeɪ/ BOH-kay, /ˈboʊkə/ BOH-kə, /ˈbɒkeɪ/ BOK-ay, or /ˈbɒkə/ BOK-ə. Japanese 暈け boke means 'blur'.

• Like Like x 2
  5. djnww

djnww SC Rookie

Nov 20, 2010
    Good work. Eventually it becomes second nature and bokeh is everywhere :smile:

The following photo was simply taken with Intelligent Auto mode on the NEX 5, 18-55mm kit lens. I believe ISO was pretty high at 1600.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    When I first started down the digital camera road and saw the word "bokeh" used almost everywhere, I had to look it up. We old timers didn't use bokeh...and I am still a bit crotchety about it, myself, sometimes.:wink:

Jason, you're doing really well with your new NEX!

djnww, besides your showing us that depth of field AKA bokeh, you're showing us how impressive that NEX 5 is at high ISOs! Impressive camera and lovely night shot, too!

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    it's such an ugly word, too ...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jason Patterson

Jason Patterson SC Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone but i was curious even though off topic but how is it possible to create infrared images feedback appreciated =)

9. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Jason, I'd suggest you post that question over in the Image Processing forum. This is also the forum where you can talk about what to do with your photographic files once you download them from your camera. Take a look and please don't hesitate to start a thread in their - more people will see your question and be able to respond.:thumbup:

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    On reflection we old-timers when considering oof backgrounds where more interested in what was in focus and just liked the separation that a shallow dof gives. It seems bokeh fans are as interested in the "quality" of the oof areas as much as they are the subject. Different lens and different f numbers effect this.

And something for Jason P.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    I have wonder for some time what Boken was now I think I know but as a old timer I still prefer depth of field...

12. PeterB666

PeterB666 SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Bokeh is not depth of field but more about the look/quality of the out of focus content.

• Like Like x 1