1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

My first rangefinder!

Discussion in 'Film Camera Forum' started by Boid, May 3, 2012.

1. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    After losing out on a great deal on a Leica M3, I went and bought the first rangefinder camera I came across on ebay. After spending a few days with my fingers crossed, this just came in the mail today.

Yashica's Electro 35 GTN in fairly decent nick. No visible chips or discoloration, the metering system works, the glass is clean (45mm 1.7 Yashinon lens). Now to actually find some film and shoot!

kCsWo.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    The lens on the Yashica is first rate. In it's day, the electronics were ground-breaking.

Please Post results as you get them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Will do so Brian.

I saw your post on the FS forum, and I can't begin to tell you how tempted I am to pick up your gorgeous M3. But with erratic customs clearances in India, I could be stuck with a very big customs bill after buying your camera. For instance the last time I bought a cable release for the X100 from Adomara (total value 10$) I got a sum of 30$ (!!) added on to it, for no perceptible reason.

4. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    That is a beautiful looking camera. Looks mint to me!

• Like Like x 1
  5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Oh niiiiiiice!

Can't wait to see the results. Are you going DIY B+W or lab colour mate?

6. defektive

defektive SC Veteran

May 4, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Sam
    I've never come across one of these, I look forward to seeing some results.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Colour lab for sure. Don't know the first thing about setting up a lab. And frankly it's just too much trouble. Even though I did develop film back in design school, but that was over 20 years ago.

8. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I will try and get some film and shoot over the weekend and post results.

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    If the photos are half as good looking as the camera, you'll be fine!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Congrats! I have the GSN. They are really nice cameras actually. You can also get the wide angle and tele lens accessories for them too if it turns out you like your shots. Btw that 1.7... I think you'll really like it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I'm babystepping into this. Never having taken any meaningful photographs on film, I have no idea what to expect. Spoke to the only guy who stocks film in the city, and he just has a few rolls of B+W film. Quite excited about doing a walkabout over the weekend. I love the idea of a 1.7 - 45mm lens. I'm guessing it'll have to be people. Have peered deeply into it trying to see if there are scratches and specks of dust. Looks clean enough.

12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Wow..... one guy who stocks film in a city that size is amazing to me. I'd love to see a shot of the man who sells film if he's open to that....or just a shot of his shop.

• Like Like x 1
  13. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Wow, great looking rangefinder! Congrats!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Also I might not be the one going to buy the film, or I'd definitely would have had the guy pose for you.

16. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Boid, your link doesn't work for me, but based on the name in the url.....it sounds awesome....LOL.

17. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have to say that is a damn pretty thing ... and like Luke, I'm astounded that in a city of nearly 9,000,000 you can only buy film in one place!

Luke I had to fiddle a bit to get the link to work ... or Boid could put tags around the link but it's a rather big one and makes the page stretch unduly

18. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Congratulations, Boid! I have a GX, similar to your GSN, but somewhat more compact. Don't remember what the actual difference in specs is.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxjaguar/4364398160/" title="YASHICA ELECTRO GX by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr">"500" height="400" alt="YASHICA ELECTRO GX"></a>
    And I have also a bigger cousin, Yashica LYNX 14EC with a 45mm f1.4 lens. It's a sweet baby, but a huge one. Smooth as a butter, though.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxjaguar/4480060919/" title="YASHICA LYNX 14E IC by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr">"500" height="400" alt="YASHICA LYNX 14E IC"></a>
    Of all my film cameras, LYNX is my favorite, but sadly also the biggest. It is quite a performer:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxjaguar/5016439918/" title="INITIATION by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr">"366" height="640" alt="INITIATION"></a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxjaguar/5308242806/" title="SOUTIEN by Milan Jovanovic /pictogramax, on Flickr">"364" height="500" alt="SOUTIEN"></a>
    You might find this link very useful:

Yashica Electro 35 & Rangefinder camera user Homepage

I bought from him (an for ten bucks, that is) an adapter so my LYNX could accept modern batteries. Meter works perfectly.
    I believe you are set very well. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Well, to be fair to the city, I didn't look too hard. Called a few photographer pals, who snickered about the question, and they both pointed me to a camera dealer in this part of the city (the link was to this picture Luke)-

qRE7i.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Holy mackerel, I love those images. Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1