Film My first rangefinder!

Boid, you can shoot more than people. And with that lens you can shoot when its darker. If you are shooting color film, you can get low to the ground and do flowers and plants with wonderful bokeh. At night, street lights. You aren't limited, then again if you want to shoot just people that is fine too :)

I also have a yashica, a 35w. I'm putting a roll of xp2 through it and after seeing your pictures can't wait to see how it turns out. First time I've used a rangefinder and found a copy of the original instructions online

Dang. After fiddling with the Yashica I'm left wondering if the X100 would have been that much better if they had left out the AF completely, gone full manual and put in a OVF that actually worked as a rangefinder. It would have made the camera that much more compelling to use.

Dang. After fiddling with the Yashica I'm left wondering if the X100 would have been that much better if they had left out the AF completely, gone full manual and put in a OVF that actually worked as a rangefinder. It would have made the camera that much more compelling to use.

Would have been able to get a meaningful comparison with the M9 at least :dash2:.

A friend just grabbed two of these on eBay, and kindly gave me one with some rolls. Fun.

Image_1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Russian Invasion.

Two gorgeous rangefinders arrived in the mail today. A FDE2 and a Zorki4 with Industar lenses. A bit dog-eared in appearance but with all the parts working beautifully. Can't wait to take them out for a spin!

YpJAb.jpg

Jeez Rajiv. So many gorgeous cameras, you desperately need to get yourself some film my friend. What's the issue with sourcing....you're after C41 - either colour and B+W from India right?

Yeah ISO 100 and check your film expiration dates. Shoot whatever is oldest first [if soon to expire] and refrigerate or freeze the others unless you tend to burn them in the next few weeks.

The guts of the camera would have been designed differently from the ground up for this, with a real rangefinder instead of the fly-by-wire MF that people don't seem to like. Would have been really interesting. But probably from a marketing/sales perspective not a great idea to have only MF.

Coool!

Congrats on your acquisition! I had an Electro a few years back, only put a couple of rolls through it and eventually sold it. But I really liked the output, in particular the look of the lens wide open- the contrast between in-focus and out-of-focus areas gives a real feeling of space to me (or maybe it's just my imagination.) Only problem for me is I am so used to shooting digital (high equipment cost, zero processing cost) instead of vice versa.

Here's one shot I really liked, that was developed at Costco where they give you digital scans at a pretty good price and quality:
7550458296_a880a1515a.jpg

julie (Yashica Electro GSN) by Steve Lang, on Flickr

I also attached another example with that '3-D' look I like, it's expired film and a poorer quality scan though. I wouldn't be surprised if the corners were a tad soft wide open, contributing to the look.

Attachments

• 024_11.JPG
    024_11.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 148
Congrats on your acquisition! I had an Electro a few years back, only put a couple of rolls through it and eventually sold it. But I really liked the output, in particular the look of the lens wide open- the contrast between in-focus and out-of-focus areas gives a real feeling of space to me (or maybe it's just my imagination.) Only problem for me is I am so used to shooting digital (high equipment cost, zero processing cost) instead of vice versa.

Here's one shot I really liked, that was developed at Costco where they give you digital scans at a pretty good price and quality:
7550458296_a880a1515a.jpg

julie (Yashica Electro GSN) by Steve Lang, on Flickr

I also attached another example with that '3-D' look I like, it's expired film and a poorer quality scan though. I wouldn't be surprised if the corners were a tad soft wide open, contributing to the look.

Beautiful pictures, now I can't wait to get out and shoot some. Probably over the weekend.

Back