My hands on G3 impressions

The more and more I keep looking at the jpegs, the more and more GAS is creaping in. I honestly, with all the cameras that have come out, not been real interested in updating my E-P1. I played with the E-Pl2 in one of our stores here, and that new kit lens is as fast as I remember the G1 with the original Panny kit lens. I know I'd lose IS, but I wonder for normal day to day shooting, if that new Oly kit lens would focus just as fast as it does on the E-PL2. Everything looks solid on this new camera, and with Palao's hands on impressions along with the improved IQ are making me think more and more about upgrading.

Dj

I have been looking into this camera for a good few hours last night and this morning. It is the only CSC that is floating my boat at the moment and seeing as my faulty E-PL2 needs to go back I think I'm going to give this little camera a go. It has everything that I could want in a CSC and the only thing letting it down is the fact that it doesn't look retro but i can live with that.

Working for a camera shop will mean I get 1st dibs when they come in and I can have a play too before I buy.

One concern that I forgot to mention: it seemed to me the iA button was perfectly placed for an accidental press, and in fact this happened to me. I don't want to overstate it, but on all these small, crowded bodies, accidently button activation is something we need to look for. However, I have since read that you can alter the iA button so that it requires a double-press to activate. Perfect (at least for me).

Thanks for a nice hands on review

I cuurentlybhave all thenpen models a pretty all the olynlenses and pan lenses plus g1'gh1'gh2.

After handling the g3 where do you think it fits in.
Thanks,

El

I cuurentlybhave all thenpen models a pretty all the olynlenses and pan lenses plus g1'gh1'gh2.

After handling the g3 where do you think it fits in.
Thanks,

El

This is a very individual matter. All you can really do is consider what the G3 brings, and your own photography, and then decide if the G3 can add value. Put another way, I start with the photography, not the camera, unless the latter adds something so significant that it makes me consider doing something very new.

Is there something you want to achieve in terms of shooting style or output that cannot be achieved with your current cameras?

You have some great cameras. The G3 brings much of what you have, but in a smaller body. It is significantly smaller, but you will likely still need a bag of some sort etc. Only you can decide if this is important.

EVF-LCD question

I wonder what you thought of having to press the EVF-LCD button every time you switched from one to the other. On the G1, I enjoy the automatic sensor taking care of that for me. --Thanks.

Best G image quality (overall and price wise) > GH2-G3-GH1-G2

I'm also interested in the G3 (G2/GH2 too), specially if it has considerably better image quality(photo) than the GH1 (better color tone, better out of camera jpg, better NR(not as agressive, shadows to mushy for my taste (maybe I didn't set it up correctly?), no banding at high Iso.

With the G3 promising similar quality to GH2 at a lower price (and hopefully better availability) I'm interested in your opinion having almost all the G's, would you say the GH2 has the best image quality(more detail in shadows, better color tone, not as gritty at low Iso and not as NR ladden at high Iso) Is it a notorious difference or just marginal (Im looking for files that can be pushed alot if needed).

Have you used the G2, if so how would you rank it? Against your G's> g1'gh1'gh2. Currently It is at a very atractive price versus the G3/GH1.

Thanx

Back