1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My morning commute

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Briar, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    As the crow flies the distance between my home and my place of work is not too far. At the weekend it's just a short drive to get there. But I don't work the weekends. I work Monday to Friday and on these days it takes me between 1.5 and 2 hours (sometimes more) to get there. Most days I travel 30 minutes or more in my car, then 30 minutes or more on the bus, followed by 15 to 30 minutes on foot depending on which bus stop I jump off at. Other days I swap the car journey for my bike, but this is in the summer when the days are longer and the weather is better. Those days I don't mind the long commute. This winter I have found the commute quite tough. I've not taken my camera with me to work for a while. Low mood and bad weather. But today while I was sitting in yet another traffic queue I found myself looking at my surroundings wondering what I might photograph if my camera was in my hand.

This is what I saw on my journey today

Men picketing outside a building, banners held high;
    Men dressed in riot gear, police training I guess;
    A bike shop with a sign outside offering free air;
    A barber shop offering hot shaves, with men with curly beards walking on by;
    A man cursing and swearing on the bus because he was running late and no way off the bus until the next stop 10 minutes away past the roadworks;
    A woman narrowly skipping past a black taxi, very, very close to being hit. Lucky? Stupid? I think both;
    The sun breaking through the clouds. Beautiful.

I wonder what I'd see tomorrow if the camera was in my hand?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    when you have the camera.....nothing that cool is anywhere to be found.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    I know!!

4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    This is such an excellent exercise. Photographs exist quite independently of the presence of a camera ...

But the question does arise ... What on Earth are you doing leaving the house without a camera?

• Like Like x 2
  5. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I always have the camera... so what happens is things always turn up when I ABSOLUTELY HAVE to be somewhere!

It's Murphy's law for photography.

• Like Like x 1