1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

My Mother: 1916 - 2015

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Lawrence A., Feb 24, 2015.

1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    This is perhaps not the place for it, but my mother passed away yesterday evening, and up at 3 AM unable to sleep, I wanted to share a few pictures and thoughts of her. When a bit over a month ago she told my sister she was ready to give up, I knew we would not have her for long. From a generation inured to adversity, she had never before, to my knowledge, spoken of giving up. Toughened by growing up on a New England farm on the South Shore of Boston with no central heat, or indoor plumbing, except the well pump at the kitchen sink, her attitude toward both joy, pain, and the plain little annoyances of daily routine was that you get through it and go on, maximizing the enjoyment. But she was not callous towards others' pain, but rather as tender as anyone I know. She applied her principles of tough endurance to herself only. Her kindness, tolerance, and acceptance of people were extraordinary examples of the best of humanity. As some of the following pictures will reveal, she had a huge capacity to enjoy herself. I love her deeply, and I will miss her in the core of my being.

i-DfVmNzf-L.

i-TSwgh75-L.

i-r63ZmMV-L.

i-6SpbSrV-L.

i-KQSTXTC-L.

i-B4B4dp8-L.

i-L7zVBc2-L.

i-DLPrDq2-L.

i-nLfLb4B-L.

i-PTLJcK6-L.

i-sBp9Lg4-L.

i-Q3995dj-L.
    This last was taken last March when I was home for her 98th birthday. I planned on being in Boston in two weeks for her 99th.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Larry. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you and all the people who've known and loved her.

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Very sorry for your loss, Larry... the photos are a moving tribute to living and ageing gracefully.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I am so sorry for your loss.

Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Very very sorry to hear. It's clear from your photos that she loved life - her eyes have a real sparkle to them. And based on her date of birth, she lived well for a very very long time. So, be sad, but be grateful - she surely seems like a mother to be grateful for...

Hang in there,

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. It is tough losing those we love, but comforting to know they lived full lives.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lucille

Lucille SC Veteran

Aug 20, 2012
    Hepcat City
    I am so sorry Larry, and I can relate with the pain...

It is never the same...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Thanks for sharing your loss with us, Larry. I think it's the best way to work through the loss. Those pictures are overflowing with life.

• Like Like x 1
  9. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    This is a perfectly fine place for a tribute, Larry. Glad that she had a long and full life. Sorry for your loss.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Sounds like a remarkable lady, Larry. Thanks for sharing her with us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 SC Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Thanks for sharing these images of your mom with us. She seemed like a really wonderful lady.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bluzcity

bluzcity SC Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    What a great tribute to your mother. From the pictures it seems she cherished every moment. I am sorry for your loss.

• Like Like x 1
  13. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Your photos are very moving and a lovely insight, thank you for sharing. I doubt if we'll see such a stoic generation as her's again. Having lost my 90 year old father in law a couple of years ago I can tell you that I think of him every day and in that same way, your mum will be with you always.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    A very nice tribute to your mother, Larry. My condolences to you and your family.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    So sorry for your loss, Larry. Thanks for sharing your tribute with us here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I realize I've missed the new appreciate button, and have been using "like". Nonetheless, I do appreciate all your kind comments.

17. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I know I'll go to pieces when my parents go so am sad to hear of your loss

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Larry, thank you for sharing with us, here. If you cannot share such things with your friends, then where?

My most sincere condolences for your loss. You must celebrate her life and her vitality, not her passing, and your photos made with love show that you are doing just that.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  19. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Larry-

Please accept my sincerest condolences to you and your family. The photos were a great tribute to a beautiful woman. Thank you for sharing the photos, your thoughts and feelings. God bless.

-A

20. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Sorry about your mother. Very lovely set of pictures and tribute.